10 minutes 52 seconds of pure fucking hate - 83%

Karamunga, September 12th, 2008

I'm generally weary of rare EPs that have a cult following because I am convinced that it's their rarity status that makes people like them. When I first started to get into black metal, I heard about this EP and that was about it for a while. I don't download music, but when I randomly seen the 2004 re-release sitting in HMV, I decided to pick it up. And while I am not a huge fan of black metal, it is one of the best discs I own.

Zyklon B don't pretend to be doing something special here. They are not reinventing the wheel. This is 10:52 of pure fucking aggression. And that's it. It is one of the angriest albums I have ever heard. It's a one-trick pony, and it doesn't pretend to be anything other than that. This is just blastbeats, dissonance, and a slow keyboard section so you can rest your neck for a few moments before headbanging through the final stretch.

I honestly think the production on this EP is fantastic and suits the music perfectly. It's loud, distorted and dirty. There's no subtlety to be found, but then again, there's nothing subtle about hate-fuelled misanthropy. There's a bass guitar in there somewhere, but it's not easy to hear for the most part.

The music is simple and fast, with much of the guitar work being focused on the higher strings. It's dissonant, harsh and ugly, but hidden amongst the blastbeats and guitar tones that have no redeemable qualities at all are some fantastic melodies, and some great riffs. Isahn's uses some of the same keyboard patches as he used in Emperor, but that's about the only similarity between the two. His keyboard parts are simple and repetitive, and used to minimal effect.

The vocals are deeper than most black metal I've heard (I'm not familiar with any of Alrahn's other musical endeavours, so I don't know if this is what he usually sounds like), and the lyrics are pretty unintelligible, but it's fairly easy to realise the album is about hate without trying to work out the lyrics. Some noticeable roars from Warfare include "The more I'm with people the more I hate them," "I hate everybody," and "Creatures of the night - nightbreed - show no mercy."

If hatred had a sound, then by the gods that sound would be Blood Must Be Shed.