Nothing Special - 65%

violentrestitution, November 26th, 2011

Throughout this bands career it seems their gimmick is to make overly obscene and offensive music, while that can be fine in its own right, when bands seem to think this automatically makes any music they put out "good" that's where the problem lies. I'm not even talking about the cheesy over the top album art, the song titles, or the lyrics. Just the way the band sounds, the vocals are a sort of forced hybrid of death metal and black metal purges, and growls, guitars are sometimes generic chugging riffs with horribly stale sounding drum production. They need to give it a little more than "just being brutal"

Being a "super group" that this band is, you may expect some seriously killer riffs. In reality, this isn't really the case. There are some good moments, for instance Rescued by Oblivion, but for the most part you get half-assed chugging, horribly generic songwriting, and lame transitions into merely average solo's. This wouldn't be so bad if the production wasn't so...bad. It's just stale. Flat. Boring. The guitars are thick, pack a punch, but that's..really it. Its kind of just there, its very clean and I'm not sure if it works on this particular release. The snare drum is very tight and ticks along throughout the whole thing. Bass is audible at parts, but only at certain parts. Basically when the bassist feels the need to show off a bass line in the introduction of some songs, but not much else.

As I said before about the vocals, they're actually good. A varied mix between Maniac (ex Mayhem) and Killjoy (ex Necrophagia) which is where the death/black vocals come into play. They work pretty well here. Although I'm not quite sure if I would classify this as Black metal, perhaps maybe death/thrash? It doesn't really matter, but this does not feel like black metal in any sense to me. You get some short spoken part/clean vocals on Son of Man that is kinda neat, wish there was more of that.

Really theres not much to say about this release, I just feel that the riffs in particular are boring, uninspired, stale, and generic. The tracks aren't really varied, they all start and stop with the same formula except for maybe one or two tracks that start with some odd clean guitar tone, then quickly jumps back to your chugging generic death metal riffing. This album brings nothing new and doesn't do what is already been done well. It almost feels like the band listened to the Deathcrush EP a few dozen times, made an album comprised of being inspired by Deathcrush except with horribly clean generic production and bad riffs. Really, about 5 tracks in I was pretty bored and wanted to turn it off. Sure, you can tap your feet to it or something I guess, it just doesn't really excite beyond that point. You've heard it all before folks, pass on this one.

Bottom line: don't buy into gimmicks, you may be disappointed.

Norway's Strong Supergroup of Blackened Chaos - 86%

GuntherTheUndying, October 28th, 2008

I actually bought this CD on a wild card, wondering what lurked beneath that slipcase promising something twisted and gory. Indeed, the nun didn’t have much fun from what I perceive, but Wurdulak’s “Severed Eyes of Possession” is actually a kicky offering, even despite Killjoy forging and ruining a billion side-groups like our present squad throughout years of pointless death/black metal experimentations. Still, Wurdulak’s stellar assault upon black metal with some death metal ammunition for giggles murders unwanted expectations at point-black range, and “Severed Eyes of Possession” has the power to gouge your retinas until you finally understand Wurdulak’s philosophy of death, blood, and pure evil in metallic lineage.

Do you like blasphemous black metal that spits on Christ’s cross while defiling sacred rules of society? If so, “Severed Eyes of Possession” was made just for you! Certainly, the divided arsenal of guitarists from various spectrums of black metal leads to a nifty melt of riffs fast, bold, catchy, mid-paced, and a little touch of thrash for good measure. More importantly, the record’s vast production captures all instrumental spectrums rather impressively, whether it’s chunky bass lines or rareness upon Jehmod’s barbaric percussion of blasting and hyper-speed sweetness of stick slamming. Best song? “Unified Global Misanthropy” without question wins, as the note is a gold-medal contribution of all their brains working hard; those solos, for instance, are pure genius. Really, they’ve done a fantastic job.

As for surprises, many folks do not know Killjoy has an extra vocalist at helm: Mayhem’s Maniac. As with both singers, they easily match their performances on grade-A materials with those signature growls and shrieks accommodating this musical macabre on unforgettable levels. Also, the Wurdulak debut featured a constant switch of lyrical ejaculators during anthems, but this item shows the team alternating between songs, essentially to fit each one’s preferred classification. Obviously, the swap is perfect in execution. Maniac’s reign throughout sub-zero black metal proves untouchable, while Killjoy’s torturous growls penetrate the realm of decency like it’s a sheet of paper; perhaps more intelligent than powerful, yet just sensational overall. If only remaining black metal “supergroup” projects could actually provide substance via music instead of popular names… *cough* TWILIGHT!!! *cough*

Well children, this does the trick, and with a hearty vengeance. Although Wurdulak isn’t breathtakingly individualistic, “Severed Eyes of Possession” acts nicely when taking black metal visions into our eternal consideration, simply because the whole band has built themselves on metal’s darkest forms in entities marked by past experiences and present burdens; chemically balanced and full of hatred, that’s Wurdulak’s sole ideology. Killjoy and crew deserve some good, loyal listeners to appreciate their enjoyable music, so why not give up a few bucks for “Severed Eyes of Possession” instead of something random or bland? This, I promise, certainly is not.

This review was written for: www.levitan-magazine.com