The only worms I enjoy being riddled with - 91%

MikeyC, November 28th, 2016

Wormed have never been a “big” band, but their debut album Planisphaerium proved to be an underground hit back in 2003. Then they seemed to fall off the planet, and a whole decade later released Exodromos, which, at least to me, took everything they did in their debut and made it better. I never really considered that these Spaniards could realistically surpass that, considering the technicality and brutality on show. I am so glad to be wrong. Just like the progression previously, Wormed take everything good about Exodromos and improve on it in every way in Krighsu.

Wormed play brutal death metal, but it’s not really conventional in the sense that they tend to move from one idea to the next throughout all their songs. Don’t allow this to be a deterrent, because despite the constantly shifting transitions, the songs still have a flow to them that a lesser band would not be able to pull off. Each section feels like the logical next step in every song and its seamlessness makes for an album that does not reach 35 minutes, yet feels like you have listened to a long and complex album, spanning many ideas and moods (well, one main mood of brutality, but I hope you understand what I’m getting at here). The opener “Pseudo-Horizon” might be a false sense of security since that may be one of the more straight-edge tracks here, if such a term can be used to discuss anything in Krighsu. When “Neomorph Mindkind” comes in with its brutal yet slightly groovy opening riff, that feels like one of a plethora of ideas you’ll come across in that song, making it perhaps one of the more challenging, but at the same time one of the most engagingly complex. And each song here, apart from the cool interlude track “57889330816.1” (I bet you didn’t read that number!) offers something that you can easily recognise the song itself, instead of it being a total coagulated mess. From the awesome brutal ending to “Agliptian Codex Cyborgization” to the mid-section break in “A-Life Omega Point” which contains maybe the only repetition you’ll likely remember, to the stop/start headbanger in “Zeroth-Energy Graviton,” every song conveys several ideas that not only sound good, but sound fluent. That’s not particularly easy to do when you’re being bombarded with brutality from all sides.

As brutal as this album is, it still manages to hook the listener in with fantastic riffs and impeccable drumming. I’m a huge fan of how both of these things work in tandem, but I’m particularly impressed with how memorable the riffs are in this thing, showcasing that Wormed aren’t trying to be brutal for brutal’s sake. Isolating one good riff will do the others no justice, so I’m not even going to downplay the importance of the guitars at all. Almost guaranteed you won’t catch every riff on the first listen, or even the second, but repeated spins will eventually reveal the secrets and you’ll notice that each riff has been meticulously hand-crafted. What helps capture the punch they provide is the excellent production, where everything can be clearly heard, but also leaving room for some slight sci-fi penetrations, mostly found between songs but can also be heard within them – the ending to “A-Life Omega Point” as an example. And the drumming should also be mentioned, as there is a lot of blasting and double kick action filling up every square centimetre of this. There appears to be more variety in the drumming from Exodromos, as well, which gives Krighsu a little more life and expands on their formula even more.

Lyrically, Krighsu is a fantastic read, detailing some pretty interesting sci-fi themes, so if there’s any downside to this, it would be the vocals are completely indistinguishable! I actually really like the vocals here, as they accompany the album quite nicely, but more legibility would enhance the lyrical themes so much. It’s a huge pity but that’s brutal death metal for you. Despite not being able to growl along with the vocalist, reading the lyrics is the next best thing. You might scratch your head but that’s how Wormed like it.

I think the strength of Krighsu is how seemingly random sections all fit together. Other bands can attempt the same style and fail in spectacular fashion, but Wormed make it work like it’s their day job. This is a well-crafted, high-octane brutal concoction, but also expansive by leaving enough space to let the music still be able to breathe and pummel the listener with riff after glorious riff. The band gets better with age and this is their pinnacle…so far.