The pinnacle of slam - 100%

Mailman__, February 28th, 2018

In 2016, Wormed released their latest work, "Krigsu."  It contains riffs more complex than previous efforts and dissonance that is less produced by the guitars and more through effects and samples.  It is the second album in a series of concept albums (I think, but "Planisphærium" might be part of the series as well) of which tell a story through astrological terms and ultra-sci-fi themes of which I understand none of.

So this album is their third album and I think that it's their best yet.  In other words, they got better and better as they went (for the most part), learning from their mistakes and improving them.  One mistake they improved upon on this album is the lack of breathing room in "Exodromos."  If you read my review of their second full-length, I mentioned that it was a very tight album with little room for the listener to breathe.  On their 2016 album, they have given plenty of room for the listener to take in what they just listened to.  For example, "Algiptian Codex Cyborgization," "The Singulitarianism," and "Eukaryotic Hex Swarm" are three songs all in a row that I would say are composed of a total of five in a half minutes total of actual riffage, while the rest is made up of dissonance and cool space-y effects.  In other words, Wormed gives us time to catch up while still annihilating our eardrums with more slams and technical experimentations.

The riffs on this album are incredible.  They're pretty similar to what was heard on "Exodromos," but these are much better.  Take "Pseudo-Horizon," for example.  This is the opening track and it starts with one of the most face-melting riffs Wormed has ever written.  The complexity and precision on this song is one of the biggest reasons that this is such a standout album.  Another great example of Wormed's advanced riffage is "Computronium Pulsar Nanarchy."   After coming out of the mostly dissonant songs that are tracks three, four, and five, this song perfectly ties up all of the dissonant sounds with a completely brutal assault of riffs.  That is not to say that it is disruptive, therefore ruining the flow, no, it maintains the flow created by the dissonance perfectly.

So I mentioned the flow of the album.  Yeah, it's definitely something that is relevant.  Take Hell's "Human Remains" or maybe The Zenith Passage's "Solipsist."  If you have listened to one of these albums, you know that each song ties up with the next one.  "Krighsu" is sort of like that.  Every song ties in to the next one, but the transition is much smoother and more thought out that the aforementioned bands (as they sort of slap cool sounds behind their music and have it play onto the next track in order to give the album more flow).  I'm not saying I don't like what those bands did, but Wormed does it in such cleaner way that I just have to talk about it.  There is not one moment where my interest isn't peaked.  Even when I listen to "57889330816.1," the shortest song on here and the only one without any music (not including three very ominous notes), I am still very intrigued.  This is because the previously mentioned song has a lot of buildup.  Also, it's just a really cool-sounding track and I love every sound that comes from it.  Something else that I like about it is that it's another place to breathe, a much needed break after the ultra-heavy "A-Life Omega Point" just destroyed my ability to hear.

There are a lot of things to love about this album.  The riffs, the vocals, the production, etc.  Speaking of the production, It's good enough that you can actually hear everything, but it's not clean to the point of which it sacrifices the brutality of the album.  I mean this is Wormed we're talking about.  You need to hear everything.  Their music is complex and multi-layered.  It needs good production.

Also, a shoutout to Phlegeton for executing such perfect vocals for such a band as this.  His vocals are deep, guttural, and harsh, giving the album an even more ominous appearance than its song titles, album title, and lyrics already provide.  I mean this guy is awesome.  Not only does he sing for this band, but he also makes the album artwork (as well as for a lot of other bands including Vomit Remnants and Katalepsy).

This is slam metal at its finest; it's slam metal at its very peak.  I do not think that this genre will go past the bar set by "Krighsu," but if it does, it will be because Wormed just released a fourth album.  Or a fifth, depending on how good the fourth one will be.

Overall Rating: 100%