Woods 5-Grey Skies and Electric Light - 80%

TikrasTamsusNaktis, February 7th, 2012

It has been over a month now since David Gold tragically passed away in a car accident, and not a day goes by since then that I have not listened to at least some Woods of Ypres. Naturally I was very excited to hear this new album, and ironically even more so after David’s death.

This album is without the most accessible Woods of Ypres album and that is saying quite a bit because their music has always been relatively accessible when it came to Doom/Black metal. The music is far more rock like in a sense. There are barely any black metal parts now. The only thing that is similar to black metal is the harsh vocals which then again only exist in about 1/3 of the songs on this album. This is album uses a lot of clean vocals, which I do not think are a problem because I have always loved David’s voice. The one thing I did notice about his voice though is that it seems far deeper than before. The guitar work is excellent as it always has been, it still sounds like Woods of Ypres that’s for sure. The drumming is fine too, nothing spectacular, but they get the job done. The main focus on this album is on the guitars and vocals. The lyrics are the same as they always have been, talking about death, and failed relationships, love, and then there is even some atheistic lyrics which if I am correct have not been included on a Woods of Ypres album before.

The eerie thing about this album is that a lot of the lyrics have to do with David singing about his death, and little did anyone know he was going to die shortly after finishing recording this album. The songs “Kiss my Ashes Goodbye” and “Finality” are all excellent songs but scary when you read the lyrics for them. It is almost as if David had foreseen his own death, and he knew this was going to be the final Woods of Ypres album. This factor makes the album much more of an interesting listen.

Overall this album is different musically, being less heavy, but nonetheless it is an excellent album, and the fact that the lyrics are so ominous makes this album worthwhile. Now if only the lyrics were not ominous, if only they were just lyrics, unfortunately that is not the case, and David Gold is dead, thank you David for your music, it really did help many people get through some tough times, I know that as a fact, for myself and a friend of mine.

R.I.P. David Gold