Uh...Yeah! Nostalgic Pagan tunes!!! - 79%

BlackMetal213, February 14th, 2016

Wolfchant? Who is Wolfchant? Well, Wolfchant is a folk metal band from Germany. They aren't all that well known, if you couldn't infer from my previous statement. I first heard this album about five years ago when I was playing in my own band, which was short lived. We would jam the album's title track "A Pagan Storm" pretty much out of boredom. I guess I was a junior in high school around this time. I showed this band to the two other guys who even bothered to show up to band practices, and they obviously dug it, because we'd fucking play this shit during rehearsals. Looking back, this album is not a classic or essential, but it is still a fun, worthwhile listen.

Formulaically, these guys took the folk metal handbook from bands such as Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, and Suidakra, and decided to incorporate all of these elements to create this oh so familiar sound. "A Pagan Storm" is the second album from Wolfchant, released in 2007. There really is nothing new going on here. It's average folk/pagan metal, played in a consistent style. It is extremely familiar and, I guess, "comfortable". The guitars generally stick to the traditional folk metal formula, with tremolo picked riffs kin to black metal, and extremely melodic, catchy riff patterns. The riffs are very heroic and melodic in nature, as to be expected. I can't fault Wolfchant for this, as it's a commonality within the genre and obviously it works quite well. The only thing wrong with this is, so many bands before Wolfchant have done the same exact thing, and also, have done it much better. While these guys are very good at what they do, other bands are far superior. The riffs all sound very familiar and definitely create a "Deja Vu" effect. One song that stands out to me, however, is "Midnight Gathering". This song is awesome. It's got that catchy riff pattern with some groove and welcomed originality.

For some reason, Lokhi's vocals sound very much like Helge Stang formally from Equilibrium, which also happens to be a German folk metal band. This is a coincidence, I'm sure, but to my ears, is fairly obvious. Lokhi's vocals really are nothing new or unique. Is this bad? No, not at all. It's hard to sound completely original nowadays anyway, but it caught my attention. The periodic clean chants and guttural death growls are a welcomed addition but they also sound fairly familiar to me.

I really can't say this album is an essential folk metal listen. However, it's got all the qualities we've come to expect and is not the worse out there. I'd recommend it for anyone who likes Viking, folk or Pagan metal. While it won't blow your mind with new ideas, it will no doubt satisfy your palate.