This is actual witchcraft... - 100%

Doominance, October 18th, 2013

... As the title says, I'm sure this is real magic. Witchcraft's Magnus Pelander is a big fan of Bobby Liebling's work, most notably Pentagram, and has sort of dedicated his band to Liebling. We can think of Witchcraft as our generation's Pentagram. The style, as a whole reminds of Pentagram, the music, vocals, lyrics; and we'll even find a cover of a song written by Bobby Liebling back when he was like 16. This song is called "Please Don't Forget Me", and as a huge fan of both bands, I'm ashamed for not knowing that this was actually a cover song, until I looked Witchcraft up on here.

Anyway, back to the music! This enthralling release contains rather simple, but very good psychedelic hard rock / doom metal songs. I'm pretty sure that these guys are actually from the late 60s / early 70s, but have somehow travelled through time and served us this wonderfully vintage sounding album, quickly restoring faith in today's music scene.
The guitars are very bluesy and catchy. Whenever I spin this record, I can't seem to get bluesy riffs out of my head (which isn't a bad thing at all). The bass is solid, groovy and compliments the guitars very well while simultaneously working well with the funky, jazz-influenced drumming. The vocals are great, too. Pelander has a very distinctive voice, and I can't help but think he sounds like a British rock singer from the 70s. If Witchcraft actually were around in the 70s, they'd threaten to beat Black Sabbath in a battle of the most influential rock / metal bands in history.

I can't point out any specific highlights of the album, since all the songs are equally fantastic, but songs I always find myself humming after listening to this record are Witchcraft, Please Don't Forget me, No Angel or Demon and Her Sisters They Were Weak; the last one being the most interesing one due to the strange beat, eerie atmosphere thanks to the flute and in-reverse vocals and the beautiful... rewind toy thingy in the end.

If I could only own a dozen records, then Witchcraft's self-titled debut album would definitely be among them. This is doom in its purest and bluesiest form.