They Are Upon the Throne! - 100%

Akerthorpe, January 18th, 2015

From the state of Texas in the United States is Whore of Bethlehem and their debut full-length, regurgitated from the depths of hell, makes a strong statement that these guys are sick and disgusted and they don't give a damn who knows it. Despite a few minor issues, mostly in the layout and color scheme department, this was a sheer slab of seething hatred from beginning to end. I'll get these minor issues out of the way now. The cover of this CD is the typical type of cover you would find for a band such as this although there wasn't much color to it which didn't impress me a whole lot. Even so, it was still a fairly cool looking cover for what it was. What was absolutely annoying as all hell was the fact that on the inside of the booklet the color scheme of the background and the lyrics is all messed up. That combine with the fact that the lyrics are printed so small, it made them extremely unreadable. So as I see it the band, or whoever was in control of the cover, layout and color schemes, really screwed things up. Enough about that. Let's get on to the good stuff!

As for the music on this release, it is unbelievably sharp and crystal clear, both in presentation and production. the riffs here are absolutely phenomenal! I immediately was taken back to the days of Morbid Angel's "Domination" release. I mean its right in your face from the first note. Usually bands build up to a point, but these guys go all out from the get go. On top of the Morbid Angel influence, you can also pic up on a vibe in the tone that is reminiscent of that on Cannibal Corpses "Tomb of the Mutilated". In some places these riffs are filled with so much agony, as if you can feel the equality of passion and effort put into the guitar work of this material. This is 100% pure, unadulterated, absolute death metal the way it should be played. Along with that, the band also incorporates a well used thrash influence and an a slight black metal influence where needed, although this aspect of the music is so brutal you really don't need anything to carry it along for it does just fine on it's own. The solos on this release are slightly intricate but not to an insane degree and the band could not have done better on the placement of said solos. My highest respects go out to the guitarists for the work put into this release. this is some of the finest shredding I heard in the year 2014.

The drum work on this release was equally as impressive. I have not heard a drummer like this, in ages, who sounds this brutal who doesn't incorporate any other influences or styles outside of the genre of death/black metal. I could hear no thrash or progressive metal influences, but I tell you now this guy is so brutal in his delivery that he doesn't need any other vibes or influences. Usually I can pick these things out pretty well and when you hear this CD you will totally understand why this band doesn't need any fillers or unnecessary influences clogging up the delivery of their material. If you could imagine what it would be like if Marduk played death metal, this is probably what it would sound like. The vocals were typical of this genre ranging from low growls to mid-range screams, but are well placed and delivered on this CD complimenting the music perfectly. Dare I say the two patterns together give a gore grind type of feel to the vocal delivery kind of like what you would hear in early Carcass of Haemorrhage. Trust me on this, when you put all of these elements together, you have one hell of a release. All fans of the black/death genre definitely need to get this release. It will satisfy even the most meticulous metal head who is extremely picky on what he/she listens to. One of the best underground releases of 2014!