© 2002-2021

Birds of a feather flock together - 60%

Felix 1666, June 10th, 2020
Written based on this version: 2017, 7" vinyl, Evil Spell Records (Limited edition)

Metal connects people. It does not know geographical, ethnical or social boundaries and this is usually very positive. But every now and then, this boundlessness results in rather dubious co-operations and products.

Here we have the case that Brazil meets Croatia and the output of this get-together is a quartet of short, beer-soaked tracks that cannot be blamed for an unnatural portion of complexity, to say the least. Motörhead and early Venom have always been important influences of the Brasilian one-man-army and it seems that Hell’s Bombers follow the same idols. With speedy rhythms and economical riffing they throw two songs into my living room. I am sure that they stole these tracks from a forgotten recording of early Bulldozer, the Italian Venom clones that told us stories about “The Day of Wrath”. The production is dirty and coarse, the band avoids any frills and maybe the programmatic name of the second piece says more than any further description: “Speed Rock & Roll”. The two tracks of the Croatians trade under the name “Evil Forces on the Loose”, but honestly speaking, there is not much evil to find here as long as we are not confronted with another period of alcohol prohibition and a government that fights against high-proof liquids,

What about Whipstriker’s contribution? It’s the story of the two peas in a pod. Please paste and copy the paragraph about Hell’s Bomber, change the band name and you got it. Of course, the one man army from South America wins the award for the most stupid song name of this output (“Die in Rape”), but this is no surprise at all. Just like their compatriots of Power from Hell, Whipstriker have never been very sensitive (read: intelligent) when it comes to catchy song titles.

The design of the 7” (black/white artworks, gatefold, lyrics) gives no reason to cry, but the uniform material remains somehow flat. There is no track that lends the vinyl an extra kick – and on the other hand there is no musical detail that really annoys me as well. Supporters of blackened, roughshod thrash and roll can give it a try, everybody else can rest in bed.