© 2002-2022

Werewolf > The Temple of Fullmoon > Reviews > Pestbesmittad
Werewolf - The Temple of Fullmoon

A great nostalgia trip - 88%

Pestbesmittad, January 6th, 2010

Werewolf is a Polish black metal band that has decided to play music exactly in the vein of classic Polish hordes like Veles, Infernum and especially early Graveland. Well, what is there to be said other than that they succeed brilliantly in invoking the spirit of a time gone by. Many times these types of tribute bands fail but Werewolf manages to sound fresh despite the obvious influences. “The Temple of Fullmoon” is dedicated to an organisation of the same name that was active in the Polish underground in the 90s. I don’t know if the band members themselves had any connection with this organisation though.

The production is rough but not bad and extremely suitable for the era Werewolf pay tribute to. All instruments can be heard (the bass is quite prominent even) and I’d say the production here is like a mixture of Graveland’s “The Celtic Winter” and “Carpathian Wolves”. It preserves the raw essence of the old Polish scene and the freezing keyboards add a layer of frosty damnation to the music, just like they did on those old Graveland releases. The keyboards are used almost all the time on this album, the only track without extensive keyboard use is the title track.

The riffs sound exactly like the ones Rob Darken used to write back in the day: hateful and aggressive but at the same time also with a touch of sadness. As for the vocals, they are a combination of Rob Darken and Infernum’s Anextiomarus. Picking out individual tracks is pretty much impossible, as the standard remains high throughout the album but e.g. “The Mystery of Eternal Life” is a great slow track, whose mournful evil atmosphere is further emphasised by the keyboards that have a dark sounding choir effect to them. “Wolfish Famine for Blood” opens the album at a fast pace, throwing you straight to the werewolves of an old Polish pagan forest. When listening to this track, I’m always thinking of a the lyrics to a Graveland song “… where blood is more precious than gold…”. On “Dark Side of the Moon” and “The Time of the Children Night” drummer Greywolf makes use of some Capricornus like tribal drumming beats, known from many early Graveland tracks.

I like Werewolf a lot better than Iuvenes (which can be seen as Berserk’s and Greywolf’s main band). These guys are much better at doing black metal than bathoryesque viking metal (or perhaps I should say were, as Greywolf is no longer among us). Get this album if you want to relive the glory days of the early Polish black metal scene, as the kind of music Werewolf plays is pretty much non-existant these days.