© 2002-2020

Legions of groupies are on their way - 81%

Felix 1666, December 23rd, 2016

Either my brain cells rot faster than I thought or the discography of Warrant displays a little mistake. I am almost sure that "First Strike" was, due to its name, earlier released than "The Enforcer". Anyway, here we have the debut full-length. Too bad that it remained the only (relevant) album of the band. Just like so many other ensembles at that time, Warrant were motivated by their inspiring surrounding. Thousands of like-minded adolescents stood up in order to make some metallic noise. A minority, but a strong minority. Finally, fascinating albums were shooting up like mushrooms. Warrant were not the kings of the new movement, but they delivered a good contribution in the form of "The Enforcer".

Compared with the rumbling debuts of some more vehement newcomers, for example Kreator or Living Death, Warrant's album is free from technical awkwardness. Just like Deathrow, the band originated from the pretty fashionable Düsseldorf, but this was the only thing that these two groups had in common. The sound of Warrant was and still is rather comparable with the first two albums of Rage or, to a lesser extent, the debut of Grinder. Speed metal (or call it thrash, it doesn't matter) and a well recognizable amount of power metal build the fundament. The lyrics are completely naive ("Heavy metal is my life, someday I'll be a star... F**king groupies all night long"), but nobody took notice of this moronic vision. It also did not matter that already Mercyful Fate had figured out that "Nuns Have no Fun" (by the way, great discovery). Much more relevant was the music and "The Enforcer" shines with a handful of speedy compositions. All of them are very coherently designed. Let's have a look at some of them in chronological order.

"The Rack" is a classic opener, a real child of its time. In combination with the short acoustic intro, "The Rack" is Warrant's answer to "Fight Fire with Fire" which had been released one year earlier by a more or less well known band from the US of A. A strong riff provides fine stitches, the conservative song pattern works and the relatively normal voice of the lead singer possesses a certain amount of charisma. The riff of the title track is, well, not completely different to that of "The Rack", but this similarity ensures another strong riff attack. Although the chorus of "The Enforcer" shows the indication of a melody, this tune reveals the speed affinity of the guys once again. "Torture in the Tower" needs a short warm-up period, but afterwards it also bows down to the Gods of velocity. Its verses score with an interesting guitar work that lends the song a certain depth and the same goes for the instrumental part after the second chorus.

Some less rapid tunes leave a good impression as well. Enjoy the abrasive guitars of the stupidly titled "Die Young", the gripping main riff of the power metal heralding "Send Ya' to Hell" or the casually rocking "Betrayer". It is exciting to see that almost each and every chorus echoes in the head. Although the band has impressive technical skills, the effectiveness of the songs is always in the focus of their efforts. It would be hyperbolic to say that the album holds nine killers after the intro, but I can promise that even the weakest track (please make your choice) achieves a solid level. This means that absolutely none of the transparently produced, vigorous songs goes into the ditch. The clean sound avoids sterility and takes me back in time. Unfortunately, this is just a nice dream. Otherwise I would check which output was the firstly released, Warrant's EP with the jewel "Scavenger's Daughter" or the recommendable "The Enforcer".