Classic of Modern Doom - 100%

violentrestitution, November 26th, 2011

You can hear this album the first, maybe second time and not think much of it. This album is for listening by yourself, preferably with headphones in a dark room. Truth is you need this album to grasp you, you need to take it in and not let it go by. Warning has a great understanding of how to take take slow music and make it interesting.

Every single note on this album is there for a reason. Every cymbal crash, every chord, every bass note, everything happens here to grasp you and never let you go until its over. The dark personal lyrics of Patrick Walker perfectly highlights the instruments in this regard, very insightful, depressive, meaningful.

Lets talk about the production here: The cymbals are crisp and every crash sounds like a waterfall being poured down on you of sound. The snare is tight and short, sometimes hit in rapid succession with cymbals crashing left and right and piercing sounds between the cymbals and the snare bringing out the crawling guitar riffs. Another thing, guitars. Two things you may notice are that they are very deep, distorted and looming. sometimes seeming as if they drone on forever. Honestly it's one of the heaviest guitar tones I've ever heard. I love it. Just when a section of a song starts to crawl on for too long it bridges to a either higher soulful riff or some very nice deeper parts. There's even some small, slow solo's here and there that are really nice to hear. The bass is audible having some nice touches here and there but it doesn't play a huge part in the album, but I definitely feel like it gives the entire sound a little bit more punch a little more depth and a darker sound. There's some notes thrown in that don't harm anything else in anyway, it just fits right in.

Vocals are a huge part of why this album is so great. Patrick Walker really makes this album what it is. His voice is very distinctive. Whether or not you like this album you'll remember his voice. You'll remember the whining drawn out words, the accent, the sincerity in his voice. This whole thing just sounds genuine and from the heart. I don't usually think music is about the lyrics but in this case its a big factor. Everything he says works well with the guitars and drums, they meld together so well you really hear and take in the words instead of letting them fly right by. Take this for example:

Here I am wide open, surrendering to your side;
I have laid down my armour,
I have no sword at my side.
I leave behind me the ruins of the fortress I swore to defend;
I leave behind me foundations;
I'll leave you a man I'll need you to mend.
And through all the battles around me
I never believed I would fight.
Yet here I stand a broken soldier,
Shivering, naked, in your winter light.

The lyrics are pretty poetic and it works in favour here. especially when sung in such a sincere and believable way.
This album is unique in and of itself but is not anything incredibly innovative. It's barebones traditional doom metal. What makes it so different is the emotion and devotion put into crafting all these different depths of sound coupled with Patrick's voice. The songs don't differ, they all follow the same path. They're slow, very, very slow. Each song averages 10 minutes give or take one or two. They don't seem that long. When you really get into each song and really listen to them they give you something special. Some original, simple doom metal.

There's not much more I can say about this piece of music. It's pure and simple. Its original in honesty and personality. I only wish there was more. I find it flawless, I am completely grasped by this album and every time I come back to it it does not get boring or less good. I must of listened to this at least 30 times by now, and it's the only album with 5 songs that I can come back to this many times.

If you want to be drawn in by simplicity, honest music. Get this. It may take a few listens to really get into it at first, but it's worth it. I wasn't a huge fan until the third time or so. Some people may have a problem with albums like that, but I can say its worth it. There's much to come back to.

A classic of modern doom metal