One of the greatest albums ever released - 100%

lyon1535, November 29th, 2011

Like many metal fans, I've never been particularly impressed with the modern metal scene. I had not in my years of metal listening heard an album by a modern band that I would consider classic.

This changed when I heard Watching From a Distance.

The album begins with a heavy, crushing, excruciatingly slow riff. It is, despite its heaviness, surprisingly melodic. From the first chord, the enveloping gloom of the album is apparent. The drums pound and reverberate in the background as the guitar progresses for three minutes. Admittedly, a good portion of music fans would not enjoy the length of this album, and if you're not a fan of long songs, this might not be your sort of album.

Pat Walker is one of the most unique vocalists ever. His voice is sorrowful, powerful, unnerving, and beautiful. His every word is imbued with a brutal, sincerity unmatched by any other vocalist. He is rare in that the music feels as if it is an extension of the raw emotion of his voice rather than his voice being an extension of the music.

To add to the overwhelming sense of gloom in the album, the lyrics are melancholic, poetic, mysterious, and introspective. The mood and subject of the lyrics varies from desperation (Watching from a Distance and Footprints) to loneliness (Bridges) to remorse (Faces) and to fleeting dreams (Echoes).

The album is unrelenting in its barrage of abject misery upon the listener, and anyone who can relate to the songs personally is immersed even further in the immense gloom of this gargantuan of an album.If you have not heard it, listen to it.

Watching From a Distance is one of the greatest albums ever released. It is heavy, depressing (perhaps the most depressing offering metal has), beautiful, and sincere.