Adequate Won't Cut It - 61%

dystopia4, January 27th, 2014

On most fronts this is an adequate death metal album. However, this international project helmed by ex-Morbid Angel frontman Steve Tucker, lacks staying power. Orchestrating The Apocalypse is no doubt a competent affair; it is, however, hardly an inspiring one. Warfather aim to sound staunchly old school - and they do a decent enough job at aping the old masters. Unfortunately, they do a lousy job at forming a believable identity of their own. We have all heard most of what Warfather have to offer from those old school classics done much more convincingly.

For their first album, Warfather have decided to take it slow. Although not without faster outbursts, this offering is littered with mid-paced to slow lurches. A strong cast of old school classics are looked to for inspiration, but Morbid Angel (duh) and Deicide seem to be the biggest players in shaping this record's sound. Steve's cavernous growls are reasonably punishing, though hardly anything exceedingly special. Featuring a large offering of riffs, mean and imposing tremolo is a huge part of the sound. The lead guitar, while somewhat infrequent, does give this album some much needed variation. Occasional background atmospherics also adds a nice touch, especially the sharp female choir vocals. However, nice window dressings every now and again doesn't save the mediocre whole.

The production is by far the biggest thing holding this album back. It is so bland that Falloch deciding to do a Nickelback cover album would be more enthralling. It is particularly noticeable on the drums, which have a flat tone to say the least. The drummer is clearly technically proficient, but this is where his positive attributes end. The clicky sound of the near-constant double bass is just awful and his performance is as uninspired and by-the-books as you can get. The bad production also mars the guitar work. Two or three chugs then a more distinctive tremolo pattern is a common riff formula here. The production makes the chugs sound laughably derpy. With the rest of the instruments out of the way, this brings us to the bass. My first question is where the fuck is it? I'm sure it's down there in the mix somewhere, but it's at the point where it could have been completely omitted and many of us would be none the wiser. This is a shame, as it leaves the sound a bit thin.

If you look past the production, this is actually a quite decent album. Most of this is adequate; vaguely good, even. Vaguely good isn't enough, though. There's not much here that makes this any more worth your attention than the next death metal band. My entire opinion of this album is basically that I can enjoy it enough when it's on, but there isn't really any reason I'd put it on again. Much of this is because it's influenced strictly by the usual suspects and doesn't form much of its own identity as a result. With better production and some audible bass this would have been better. It still wouldn't be great. If adequate music by established musicians is what you crave, then this will perfectly suit your needs. For those wanting that something more, you'll have to dig a bit deeper than this.