© 2002-2022

And What a Cover! - 70%

vomitpuslicker, April 27th, 2005

Seriously! They noised it up good. I understand Frankie was pissed-off big time about it. It's an intense track, and in my estimation, the best thing they ever did. I'm a little cheesed that this EP isn't available on CD. Metal Anarchy had the best production, and some great material, but the attitude oozing from "Two Tribes" really epitomizes the band. The other two tracks are OK, but nothing special. The "This Machine Kills"/"Burn the King's Road" EP is better than the B-side of this one, consisting of "Hell" and "Blown to Bits". They're a little slow, and the vox are moderately melodic; I mean at least as much as some of Cronos' vox ("Countess Bathory", etc.). The musicianship is also nothing spectacular, and I think in part it's this de-emphasis on instrumental virtuosity-- a lack of profuse leads and so on-- that has resulted in the perception of Warfare as a punkish unit. Their sound does contain alot of other punk influenced elements, mainly in terms of vocals, writing and arranging, but it's usually incorporated into a metal format pretty well. Another thing about this EP is that it had some of the coolest cover art ever (right up there with Voivod's War and Pain): a grainy b&w photo of the band in front of barbed-wire. This minimalist simplicity is generally idiomatic of the band, and made the EP look and feel like a bootleg, with all the obscurity implied by that fact making it that much more appealing. The release of this EP defined the band for me, and though they don't belong on my top 10 list, I still get major enjoyment from listening to them butcher a well-known pop song so effectively.