Epic Heavy Metal - 85%

raoulduke25, June 12th, 2019
Written based on this version: 2019, Digital, Independent

Italy isn’t exactly known for being a haven for heavy metal, but they’ve had their fair share of solid acts throughout the years. But it’s still a little rare to have a heavy metal album so strong come from a country that isn’t the US or the UK. But Vultures Vengeance aren’t new to the game, and if you’ve heard anything they’ve done in the last few years, you’d be quite aware of their potential. Both of their EPs were quite good and this release – their full-length debut – has solidified their status as a force to be reckoned with in the world of heavy metal.

If you haven’t heard Vultures Vengeance before, the best way I can describe them is a grittier, meaner, and less socially acceptable version of Iron Maiden. The vocalist doesn’t really sound anything like Dickinson, but the galloping riffs and the epic vocals and lyrics are enough to remind anyone of the great English princes of heavy metal. Now add in some enchanting melodic guitar leads and you have yourself what I believe to be one of the best heavy metal releases of the year. Some have likened them to Manilla Road, and I don’t think that this is entirely wrong but I don’t see it as particularly helpful from a classification standpoint (though songs like “Dead Men and Blind Fates” are pretty strongly influenced by the epic American band). Vultures Vengeance certainly have some similarities there, but to me their strongest influences go back a bit earlier.

It’s really hard for me to pin down exactly why I like this release though. I can’t point to a single riff or to a particular section that has all the right parts played on it. It really comes down to the fact that, as a package, this album represents such a strong case for the heavy metal genre. Every track has an underlayment of solid riffs which are accompanied by A-level lead guitar and percussion. You literally can’t point to a single place on this album where the band’s perfect chemistry isn’t shining through. Whether it’s the Priest-infused riffs of “Fates Weaver” or the epic reverbed vocals on the title track, every moment is precisely calculated and executed. There are no lazy sections of needless filler that come about because of a lack of ideas. These guys mean business.

The only drawback to this album is a mystifying one to me – and that is that so much of it didn’t stick with me even after multiple spins. I put this record on, and it rips from beginning to end, with the lead guitars leading me through a melodic journey of magic and mayhem, but as soon as it’s done, I have no memory of what I just heard. This is perhaps unfair since it’s also quite an early criticism – only time will tell how this record stacks up after I’ve had the opportunity to listen more. But I can assure you that I will be listening plenty more because this album has it all.

Originally written for The Metal Observer.