Chapel of Awesome - 82%

Erosion of Humanity, December 3rd, 2014

The Mississippi duo is back in full form with the release of their first full length Chapel of Rot. Barely doubling the run time of the self titled EP Vomitwolves, Chapel of Rot ends just shy of the twenty minute mark.

This go around the dynamic duo have beefed up the death metal influences a bit, not an overwhelming amount but it’s enough to notice a change; without cutting much, if any, of the speed or ferocity of the EP. Jared’s handling of all instrumentation is on point once again with blisteringly fast riffing and a seemingly inhuman performance behind the drums; check out Unearthly Ascension to see for yourself. I do have a slight issue with the guitar tone on Chapel of Rot but I can’t quite put my finger on where I take issue with it. The speed is great and playing are great but something just sounds a miss at times when I have trouble picking them out, they seem to hang in the back getting drowned out by the drums and vocals on a regular basis. Even though they do still manage to create a nice heavy wall, if you will, I would prefer them to be a bit more upfront.

Jill’s vocals have taken on a new, deeper tone in a few of the songs which adds more depth to the music. She also manages to pull out an almost cavernous sound in her voice as can be heard on songs like The Void Below and Hymns of Plague. Thankfully she has also retained that high pitch in her voice that works so well with the fast paced and screeching sound Vomitwolves have developed.

The only other real problem I find here is with the cleverly titled Harbinger of the End that rounds out Chapel of Rot. Not that it’s a bad song per say but it finishes off in a terribly slow fashion compared to the rest of the album and kind of kills all the mojo they had built up previously. All in all everything manages to work well together and give the listener an extremely fast, loud, and abrasive twenty minutes which I why I like it so much.