© 2002-2018

Progressive Thrash? Don't Mind If I Do! - 100%

ThrashFanatic, February 13th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2017, 2CD + DVD, Noise Records (Deluxe Box Set)

Voivod were truly in a league of their own. They started out as your average, everyday thrash act. Their debut "War And Pain" and "Rrröööaaarrr" were okay albums, but the change in sound that they were about to undergo would ultimately catapult them to legendary status. Yes, I'm talking about their progressive thrash masterpiece "Killing Technology". Let's take a look at one of the greatest progressive thrash albums of all time!

The record begins with the title track, which opens with the guitar mimicking the sound effect of a heartbeat monitor machine and these legendary 3 words are uttered... "WE ARE CONNECTED!" Then what follows is some amazing riffs and great vocals. Piggy is amazing, his guitar riffs, his solos, and the overall execution of what he plays on this record is absolutely breathtaking. Snake's vocals are excellent, they certainly fit the progressive nature of the record. Blacky's bass is highly audible throughout the record. His bass has a great tone to it, and it can be best heard on "Overreaction". Drummer Away puts on a stellar performance. His double bass is highly audible, and his drum fills are perfectly placed and they don't feel forced. Now let's take a look at some of the best tracks...

"Overreaction" has an insane main riff, and as I said Blacky's bass is highly audible. The guitar work is highly technical, it's pretty much technical throughout the whole record. "Tornado" is much of the same, but there is still lots of variety to be found. Piggy's riffs are outstanding, and Away's drum work is very complex. This is one of the highlights without a doubt! "Forgotten In Space" begins with some sick guitar work, and the bass mixes in quite well. The drums are pretty fast at some points during the song. This is another highlight, I recommend this one. "This Is Not An Exercise" has some of the best riffs on the record, and Snake's performance here is once again excellent. Like what more could you ask for in an album? This is perfect, every aspect of this album is spot on!

The modern day equivalent to this would obviously be Vektor. This record is like if Outer Isolation or Terminal Redux were to come out in 1987. This was truly ambitious for it's time. Voivod along with Coroner, Watchtower, Toxik, and Sieges Even all took thrash to the next level with their technical/progressive style. Killing Technology is by far my favorite Voivod record, this is some kickass stuff! I highly recommend this to fans of Vektor, Coroner, Watchtower, Toxik, and Acid Storm.

Highlights: EVERYTHING!!!