© 2002-2024

Visceral Damage > Icon of Massive Murder > Reviews
Visceral Damage - Icon of Massive Murder

Jackhammering human joints - 70%

autothrall, November 2nd, 2009

This is the second album from Spain's Visceral Damage, a brutal death fest with some great riffing and intensity. Technical enough to please all the br00tal wankers yet it never forgets that it's actually DEATH METAL, menacing and dark. So many albums coming out in this genre, it's like taste testing between wines and cheeses. I'd equate Visceral Damage to a decent merlot or muenster, the quality is obvious even if it isn't the best you've ever sampled.

Most of the tracks here feel like a jackhammer being applied to various joints on the human body. Precise, surgical attacks with tight, punchy guitars and thundering drums. Tracks like "Ossic" and "Primitive Instincts" can quickly put one in a panic, truly these are the sounds of murder. Perhaps my favorite here was "13 Killed", with its churning old school death metal riffing intro that erupts into brutal thrash. "Livid Evil" is another killer. The instrumental album closer "Funeral Orb" was kind of nifty too, a doom number with pianos. I'd almost wished this were the intro to another song.

Visceral Damage truly display their ability to capture the essence of death metal dating from back to Death, Morbid Angel and early Cannibal Corpse, and then infuse it into the more technical, brutal mindset convergent with the current philosophy of this scene. The result is a good album worth any death metal fan's time.

-autothrall

Brutal Killing - 90%

MetalStrikesDown, February 1st, 2009

Creativity is the name of the game probably about 99% of the time when I listen to a brutal Death Metal band (remember 73% or was it 58% of statistics are made up?). When an album comes around and it doesn't sound like most of all the other bullshit coming out in this genre, it is like finding a ruby in a pile of dirt, (yeah bad analogy - shut up). Visceral Damage brings to the table music that hasn't really been heard before but can obviously fit into a genre and please fans.

Within Icon of Massive Murder the band creates riffs that are original and at times breathtaking for me to hear. It is really hard to think of things to say about this album because it is actually good enough that I don't really have any negative things to say about it. Except maybe there isn't a standout track on this album, well do they all sound the same then? No, that is not the case; but there just really isn't that one track I could put on and just destroy things to. The whole album does work for that purpose, but not just a single track.

The album is rather catchy at times too, always a plus for I. Brutality plays a big role and this could not be the case if the riffs were not sharp and piercing, an edge would be lost from this album. This combined with good vocals and overall chaotic music makes the album a good selection to put on. Visceral Damage makes many other brutal death bands look like amateurs.

The band does not resort to using pathetic breakdowns. I can honestly say that I did not hear a single breakdown that reminded me of an anal skewer. With such originality, the band may be out of ideas or this can be proof that bands today still can reach a level of brutality without copying another band's style and without using simplistic riffs or breakdowns any goon could write.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com