Vertherbral-Regeneration - 90%

Lord_araya, December 10th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2018, Cassette, Qalaqas Black Art Productions (Limited edition)

The South American death metal scene have witnessed many old and new bands producing and releasing good quality materials to date. Verthebral is absolutely one of those enlisted, hailing from Ciudad del Esta, Paraguay.Formed in 2013, Verthebral released their first full length album "Regeneration" and the response are overwhelming.

"Regeneration" is an death metal album packed with true old school death metal elements combined with today's fresher ideas where both collided for good and the result is simply amazing.Intense and furious, Verthebral managed to balanced their own interpretation of musical direction together with their influences respectively.It's an album with lots of variety in terms of arrangement of their composition which went all out and crossed many obvious borders without regrets. Rough and heavy guitar works are to be heard with interesting licks and old USDM styled twisted solos just to name a few of the album's special features plus the little atmosphere added of this fantastic release.The bass player and the drummer worked their asses out really hard to maintain focused on producing the heavy sound incorporated in this album and overall their sound as a band is tight and consistently progressing."Regeneration is a technical album, not in a modern sense of course but there are times that it reminds me of Gorguts and a few pioneers of death metal from USA.Their vocalist really put an effort in his singing style with a growling and brutal tone to suit the music flow and the concept of this album.

Clocking at 43:27 of total playtime, Verthebral's "Regeneration" is an essential death metal release and worth all to way to check out. The quality of this release is way better than other death metal releases today. Get ready for some pure brutality South American style, make way for Verthebral!

Verthebral - Regeneration - 92%

Edmund Sackbauer, June 16th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2017, CD, Satanath Records (Limited edition)

„Regeneration“ might be the best Death Metal record out of Paraguay I have ever come across. How many Paraguayan DM records I own you ask?
Well…you got me. Chances are good though that my initial statement is true although that might not be saying much.
I am a bit lazy when it comes to travelling bur thanks to the world wide web music fans can easily reach the most exotic places to discover new stuff. I am always amazed having found a new gem in a corner of the world in which I did not expect it.

Verthebral are a four piece Metal machine having been founded in 2013. After an EP in 2015 they managed to grab a deal with More Hate Productions to present us their definition of Old School Death Metal. It seems as if they have digged deep in their collection of late eighties and nineties DM collecting some of the best elements and putting them together again in a slightly adopted version.

The guys have a feeling for good songwriting varying between furious speed attacks and slower, filthy parts that give the whole affair the required dark and brooding atmosphere. The guitarists Daniel Larroza and Alberto Flores complement each other with one providing the mostly laid back and hypnotic main riffs and the other one fading in an out with some fantastic soloing work. Of course the boys want to show the world that they know how to play their instruments resulting in some pretty impressive technical pieces. Thankfully those sections never overstay their welcome. It is a bit of a problem these days that a lot of new bands try to compensate for their lacking songwriting abilities with additional speed, brutality and technicality. I am glad to report that this is not the case here.

Gabriel Galeano is the name of the drummer and being from South America he got the rhythm running through his veins. Compared to his North American and European peers he seems to make a bit more use of those rumbling mid ranged toms of his kit giving the drum sound an intense percussive feeling. Bass player Cristhian Rojas is also responsible for the vocals and he is doing a great job. Roaring in the veins of big idols like Martin van Drunen his delivery is top notch. Of course a small accent can be heard but otherwise the lyrics can be understood pretty well.

The production is punchy and modern without being too sterile. There is just enough filth and putridity to put enough dirt into the music without sacrificing any details of the instruments. Often that kind of production leads to muddy sounds burying some elements but luckily this is not the case here.

To summarize your enjoyment of this record will depend on what you are looking for. You can call “Regeneration” pure plagiarism as there is nothing new or innovative to be found here.
If you are like me always searching for new music in the tradition of the nineties keeping the original spirit with a fresher sound chances are good that you will find a new favorite here.

Sound and crush the old-school way - 90%

KornelKontros, March 1st, 2018
Written based on this version: 2017, CD, Satanath Records (Limited edition)

This young death metal band and their debut album come from another exotic country as for me, which is Paraguay. Let's start with some background info. Verthebral has been established in 2013, but as a precursor to "Regeneration" the quartet unleashes a self-released EP in 2015 consisting of 5 songs and named as "Adultery of Soul". Since then the band's line-up is unchanged and combines from the relentless forces of Christian Rojas (bass & vocals), Daniel Larroza (guitar), Alberto Flores (guitar) and Gabriel Galeano (drums).

The album sets in with a short but mysterious intro, where some keys and lots of shooting can be heard. It follows "Place of Death" a typical death metal cut executed in the best traditions of the 90s. It has all the trademarks that mostly the Florida death metal movement used with a great enthusiasm. So the other compositions continue to rip and blaspheme your ears in that discerning formula. I kinda felt myself as a time traveler during over forty minutes. Even the sound production has the same vibes as the bands of the golden death metal era were used to have.

These guys from Ciudad del Este know really well how to make their songs sound and crush the old-school way! If you were grew up listening to such cult bands as Deicide, Monstrosity, Obituary, Death or Cancer, then don't hesitate to take a listen to the songs of "Regeneration". Recommended for all the true death metal die-hards around this rotten globe!

Originally published at the website of Encomium 'zine.