© 2002-2018

Daemonic, The Execution of Thought: Veld - 76%

Riven Obyss, July 11th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2015, CD, Lacerated Enemy Records (Limited edition, Digipak)

Daemonic: The Art of Dantalian. Where to begin? The album crafts an already dark and brooding presence with the fun, slightly amusing cover art, if not just hearing the name of the collection of songs. Veld is an interesting entity concerning my vapid history with them. It's been around three years since I first listened to anything by this fairly underground band. Daemonic was the first album, and I haven't yet caught up with the previous release, nor do I admittedly have much intention to do so.

Let's get into the meat of things. Daemonic starts off with an eerie opener not short of a few video game and movie cinematic openings, yet isn't inherently cringe inducing like some. It's short and to the point, fulfilling it's basic existence as a opener. The first true song is the heavy and bombarding "World In Obscure", a track with no pause. The whole album has this feeling of a creeping, or incredibly aggressive atmosphere. There are points where this dies down and becomes just shredding, but my bet is on synth production values for those feelings.

None the less, Daemonic has almost every song composed of extreme metal, which I admire for the sheer overwhelming nature of my favorite genre of music. Songs like "World In Obscure" and almost all other songs contain the atmospheric background mentioned earlier, with high focus on not leaving the armor empty underneath, figuratively speaking. Once the body is exposed after peeling back the plating, Daemonic is filled to the skin with background effects and sounds trying to mimic suffering or pained souls. It does this well enough, but it does sometimes feel strangely overdone in certain tracks.

Finally I get to the guitars, and they are VERY bright, almost too aggressive. I like the tone, but I'm only slightly held back by the near sole focus on having the strings devour your ears. The bass is actually quite forgettable, and at times you could have never thought they used the bass. This is most likely due to how overwhelming the rest of the instruments are compared to the far weaker in presence bass. Does this kill the album? No, far from lethal, just disappointing.

The drumming is a furious endeavour, with almost never letting go of the punishing attitude it developed in the first actual song of the album. However, I have far more to say about the vocals. The vocals are in spirit fun, but they are completely underwhelming if taken out of the whole landscape of music created here. They also sound quite processed, but I'm not a person too knowledgeable on that topic, so I could be wrong, I'm not convinced I know for sure. Again, though, it does not kill the album. Speaking on the topic of vocals, Veld indulged in some quite cheesy, but in essence humorous spoken-word parts in various songs. They are funny to hear out of nowhere, in somewhat of a contrast to the brutal audio pounding we're receiving.

The album has one instrumental, which is neither good nor bad, just a added bonus. The instrumental was possibly placed there to enhance the runtime, but it's foolish to automatically default to this assumption. It's a ironically more laid back track, with the guitars and drums feeling less inclined to ravage your body than previous songs, even the bass becoming even less of a presence than you could have thought achievable. The very last track is the best for me personally, and a song I've replayed more independently than the rest. It's composed of the same punishing riffs and blast beats, but with a refreshing break around two minutes and forty seconds. The change is a neat slowing of the intensity, with female vocals suddenly appearing, sounding delightfully malicious, if not a bit morbid. This returns twice in the track, then the album finishes in a fade out.

Overall, this was a informing experience, one to call on interest for the future of Veld. You can avoid this train or ride it, it is not something you should be ashamed of missing.

My favorite songs on the release:

- "World In Obscure"
- "Endless Spirtual Paranoia"
- "Annihilation of Divinity (Trust Upon Ignorance"