Vektor - Black Future - 90%

Podgie, October 2nd, 2010

I heard great things flying around the thrash community about Arizona’s Vektor, but I made a point of not judging and jumping on the band’s wagon before hearing Black Future properly. So when my copy finally arrived, I allowed it to consume my attention entirely; and I have to say, I don't think it has received any false praise.

Musically, this album is fantastic, and for the first time in a while I feel confident in saying that, while Vektor’s influences are obvious, this is a truly fresh and original thrash album. It manages to be consistently progressive and complex without losing any aggression and, more importantly, without coming across pretentious. In fact, I actually believe the longer, more complex songs on the album are the finest, with the pick of the bunch for me undoubtedly being the eerie Forests of Legend, which features a riff reminiscent of Rust In Peace-era Megadeth.

As well as the complex song structures and technical playing I think what really sets this album apart from the rest of the new wave of thrash are the vocals. It didn’t surprise me to see Disanto name Emperor among his influences, as at times his vocals are almost shrieking, while avoiding sounding unpleasant or over the top. They’re also reminiscent of the high pitched, thrashier style vocals of Destruction’s Schmier. While all his influences are clear, Disanto manages to maintain his own style throughout the record, and while this may not be to everybody’s taste, it complements the music very well and adds another dimension to the already outlandish sound. Lyrically, the album doesn’t disappoint either. With its underlying theme of space, time and giant galactic overlords it touches on such topics as the natural word, ancient civilizations, genetic engineering, society’s downfall, the consuming, tyrannical wars of man and the inevitable extinction of the human race. Pretty cool, huh?

The futuristic, apocalyptic imagery aside this is a simply great metal record. The musicianship on display is insane, especially the guitar work. Both guitarists perform superbly, and there’s no lack of exciting riffs or impressive solos. Not forgetting Vektor’s rhythm sections, who are both clearly extremely proficient musicians as well, always adding more and more feeling to the already energetic sound.

Overall I think Black Future is an accomplished modern thrash album which incorporates elements of death and black metal, which makes for a challenging yet enjoyable listen. Thoroughly recommended, and definitely a band for the (black) future!