These guys have a bright looking future ahead. - 99%

Henkkasd, August 21st, 2010

This is the ordinary story that most people seem to have gone; when I first saw the album cover I thought that Vektor is obviously a Voivod ripoff band. From the first seconds of the album I knew I was wrong.

The first thing that pops in mind is how well all the instruments work together. The drumming is precise, the riffing is tight, the bass doesn't play just one note bars but the figures are actually really cool. I have to say something about the vocals also. Vektor's vocalist David DiSanto is an AMAZING vocalist. His vocal range is beyond imagination. Most of the time the vocals remind of Destruction's Schmier, but when he unleashes his soaring screams, you're left your brains on the wall wondering; "is that even possible?".

The guitarwork is what really sticks out on the album. The guitars are tuned ½ steps up from the standard guitar tuning, which gives a rather different approach to the riffing. I haven't heard similar riffing ever in my life. Once you think a riff reminds you of something they smash a completely different kind of riff right in to your face, yet the quality of the riffs stays constantly high. Another pleasant surprise is that there aren't as many solos as you could expect. The solos are almost magically placed, they are almost every time there where you would say "this part could use a solo" and they are short and never climax into a wank-fest, which is surprising considering that the guitarists are really skilled.

What I have to mention about the album is the song structures. This is where the progressive influence raises it's head. The song lenghts vary from Deoxyribonucleic Acid's 4:45 to Accelerating Universe's 13:31, which is mind-blowing considering this is a thrash metal record. The songwriting is really tasty, the "calm before the storm" effect is used only a couple of times, and the fast and slow parts are balanced just right so that the listener doesn't get exhausted.

This album isn't flawless though, because two of the tracks (Oblivion and Destroying The Cosmos) are recycled from the 2006 debut album Demolition. Though this is a really, really minor flaw, it keeps this album from receiving a full 100.