More Attitude Than the Last - 80%

Byrgan, June 8th, 2008

What I want to know is how Vader possibly stepped up the energy and intensity level when compared to their last demo? Because the music never lets up. This is not a recording to sit to. Tranquil moments? No. Vader at that time didn't even know what that word was.

The production values are in a sense terrible compared to their later debut The Ultimate Incantation. But if you are looking back, the music carries its own weight, to give enough out of it to not be overlooked. Also, the major production difference between the Necrolust demo and the Morbid Reich demo is this is much more muffled sounding. The Necrolust demo was clearer sounding because it had a higher more raw quality. Morbid Reich is more deep, yet it has a low muffled sound because each instrument has a bassier emphasis.

I'm still surprised by the drum work, because it is so ridiculously fast. In the extreme metal genre it is not common place that a drummer can keep up with an above average guitarist hit-for-hit. Yet these guys have no problem dishing out lightning fast music to match each other. The guitars still follow that quick tremolo, buzzed sounding in-and-out thrash quality of palm muting riffs. Slow section? Again, no. As close as they get to a slow section is a mid-paced riff, which is usually pushed out of the way for a thrashier moment or a blast beat. The song Reign Carrion has a great mid section, where the guitars use a simple chug to primarily sway the song. Although, they can't stay that way for long! Because towards the end of the song he throws in an all out blast beated section. I can imagine them during a rehearsal arguing. 'Damnit, stop blasting. I was just tuning my guitar.' Unfortunately the bass guitar is so buried that it is nearly impossible to detect any stray bass lines.

The vocals are a changing factor per release. Usually vocals are identifiers. But not knowing you are listening to early Vader, you might make the mistake of using the shrug when asked to guess. The Necrolust demo emulated a quick and raspy narrative, more identified with 80's tainted-morbid thrash bands. Although on this demo he started to use a half-growled gruff-voice. He also adds echo or delay, which projects his voice and makes it more present and dark sounding.

This demo is quite a step up in intensity. Even if the production isn't that great, I don't mind listening to this because the music is worth it. The drummer proved he is inhuman, and the guitarist proved that he can add enjoyable chaotic riffs without losing you with technical showmanship. One of the few things early Vader demos suffers from is sub par recording equipment. Although, in that case, it doesn't hinder me at all. Another round? Yes, sir, don't mind if I do.

Where it Really Got Started - 90%

corviderrant, April 3rd, 2004

This is a seminal piece of Death Metal history, as it showed the world that there was such a thing as metal behind the Iron Curtain that still existed at the time. I remember ordering this from Wild Rags after hearing all about it, and the moment it started, it blew my sorry ass away. Even with its basement-quality production values, I cut it slack given that, at the time, really good recording technology was not widely available in Eastern and Cerntral Europe back then.

On one level it sounds a lot different--Peter's vocals are nowhere near the familiar guttural, raspy bellow they are now. He sounds like he's not only severely drunk, but mumbling loudly through a radio, and this is what deletes points from the review above all. His gaining confidence in his vocals came much later. Other than that, all these songs ended up on their Earache Records debut, "The Ultimate Incantation", and are not terribly different from their final recorded versions on that release aside from the fact the production was far superior on the album.

The musicianship is surprisingly good given how young they were and how weak the production is that hides that fact a bit. Doc was quite the mad drum monster even then, in those days before triggers, and his frenzied pounding led the way for practically every tune. The bass is a nonentity, it's buried so deep in the mix, and Peter's guitar playing is actually better than you'd expect--not the wah and whammy-soaked Slayerfest it became, but slightly more coherent leads that are still noisy and chaotic in classic Death Metal fashion. All these things aside, this still startled me and made me think "Holy shit...these guys are great!!!", since I didn't know what to expect. Since then Poland has become a Mecca for good death metal, and it was this demo that helped pave the way for others. Either download it or see if you can find it somewhere, because this is one of the best demos I ever heard back then and still holds up pretty well today.