© 2002-2018

Black Apocalyptic Masterpiece - 99%

Moravian_black_moon, June 29th, 2008

If there was ever an underground black metal album that’s been tremendously underappreciated, this monster of a release has got to be it. “Circle of the Seven Infernal Pacts” stands for everything that is filthy and black and is a perfect example of a black metal gem lost in time and darkness. Razing guitars and haunting vocals that will give you chills of terror and excitement. A very atmospheric release with the “less is more” attitude that very few bands today are able to pull off. These German misanthropes wanted an album evil, old school, and primitive as possible and they did not fail.

The drummer is listed as a session drummer but his contribution on this album adds to the frenzy turmoil that this album is best known for. A great example can be found in the short drum intro in “Dark Winds Around the Throne of Blood”. Although there are some mid-paced parts, overall I’d rate this a rather fast and aggressive release.

The 1 percent I left out on the score is because it is just a little too short. I would of loved this album to eclipse the 30 minute mark. It’s just too good and I’m always begging for more after the final apocalyptic riffs of “Black Clouds Beyond the Fullmoon” bring upon an abrupt and chaotic end. Recommended to fans of black metal who are waiting to be surprised by that one occult gem that they wished they had heard years before, this will not disappoint any fan into the primitive and the “dark and murky basement” sounding production.

Standout tracks: “Circle of the Seven Infernal Pacts”, “Magicus Tulis Damnatio”, “Lost Beast, Born in Darkness”, and “Black Clouds Beyond the Fullmoon”.

I like... You may not - 85%

Poser_Holocaust, October 6th, 2004

This was one of my first "Black Metal" albums I had personally purchased back in 95. When I say "Black Metal" I mean it the typical European type (not original Death Metal essence). Nope, hear we have fast picking Black Metal from Germany, but I do enjoy this album. Typical at times simple high speed banjo picking guitar sound yet there are plenty of slower actually demonic grim parts. Drums are very weak and gets drowned under the vokills and guitar. Bass guitar??? The vomits on the other hand do always sound hellish and haunting. That saves the album in its less inspired moments; songs which tend to go around in circles in terms of song writing, never really feeling like there is a begining or end... just a sudden stop (but that is to be expected really). The production is very hollow flat and grainy; fortunatly manages to give a cult sound. Layout is cult simple and boring. Although it may seem I don't care for this album or band because of all the negative comments... there is just something I like about this album despite its flaws. That is a personal pref and can not be re experienced through a review.