© 2002-2020

Excellent debut - 80%

EyesOfGlass, August 27th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2016, Digital, Independent (Bandcamp)

Undermine is the debut full-length from Buenos Aires-based Undermine. Back in 2012 they released their first EP, Trayendo Solamente Pobredumbre, which was a more than solid take on modern thrash that managed to catch my attention. When I found out these guys had released their debut last year, I didn’t think twice about it and grabbed a copy.

Undermine continues to expand on the sound teased on the band’s previous EP, a sort of hybrid between technical thrash and death metal. The music doesn’t reach the technicality levels of Revocation, however, and you can also hear more classic influences in some of the riffs, resembling particularly the more mid paced numbers on Reign in Blood or Seasons in the Abyss. Even though Matías Capdevila deep growls don’t remain a constant to really throw in the band with other thrash/death metal acts, they complement Francisco Cañardo’s raspy vocals quite well and together they make for a competent dual approach.

Regardless of Undermine’s influences, the band’s performance is tight and spot on, especially on the shorter numbers like ''Una plaga de silencio y muerte'', ''Nada por salvar'' and ''Torturemos al patrón'', the latter being one of the heaviest and deadliest songs on the album. There are a couple of longer numbers, averaging 6 minutes in length, where the band sounds as good as on any other song, but they lack the punch of the shorter tracks. These guys work best when they write relatively short, concise modern thrash songs that rely on the riffs spewed forth by both axemen Cañardo and Capdevila, the longer tracks just seem to drag on past the 5 minute mark. ''Sangre en las lágrimas'' is perhaps the only exception, a fantastic riff fest that does not let up since the very beginning, one of the best this album has to offer together with ''Torturemos al patrón.''

I don’t want to make it seem like the longer songs pale in comparison to the shorter ones, they’re just as good, but the direction Undermine aims for on this self-titled debut works best with shorter and to the point tracks. In any case, Undermine is only their debut and the band managed to craft some excellent metal right here, there’s no excess to the technical approach and all four member’s delivery is spot on. Honestly, this is what I've been expecting from these guys since the release of their EP and they did deliver, so I can’t wait to hear more from them.