© 2002-2020

Uncle Slam - When God Dies - 87%

chevymetal1986, December 9th, 2011

Uncle Slam is one of the great underground crossover-thrash metal bands in Los Angeles. As like any great band, they have the urge to change up there style a bit, not seem so stale and repetitive. There first album, Say Uncle, is an absolute crossover thrash masterpiece. Their second album, Will Work for Food, was a great follow up album and had its classic moments as well. This album is not any different in my opinion. I came across this great gem when I was at my favorite record store and had this lonely cd in its aisle. I decided to pick it up. At this time I had never heard of Uncle Slam and this is what introduced them to me, so I decided to pack the pipe, open a cold Monster, and drive my truck around my town of Los Angele with this cd blasting away.

Some of the fans of Uncle Slam that detest this album all claim that they were trying to do an Infectious Grooves-style album. I don’t think anyone was ever going to confuse this for Infectious Grooves; it was a bit funkier than the previous two albums. The first song, which is also the name of the album, was absolutely a funk metal song. A great funk metal song at that, but that was really the only one like that on the whole album. The next track, “My Mother’s Son”, set the vibe of the rest of album of going in the crossover thrash metal style they're great at.

They do change a bit in style and do a more mature metal balled called “An Offering to a Deity”. This song is the longest song on the album, totaling more than 7 minutes plus, but it such a great take from them, it’s too bad they couldn’t do more songs like these. The rest of the album is the same angst and rebellion they're so famous for writing, singing, and performing. Besides “When God Dies” and “An Offering to a Deity”, some other songs jump out at me and have me playing them over and over again.

Some of these songs include “Smoke ‘em if You Got ‘em”, “Age of Aggression”, “Procreation”, and “The Lightless Sky”. "The Lightless Sky" is so unique as well. It starts off thrash metal in the beginning, then in the middle becomes a slower tempo and turns into a bit of a metal balled. Then towards the end it goes to straight thrash metal again. This whole album gave me a kind of Armageddon theme going on with the title of the songs, title of the album, and the lyrics. While still being crossover thrash and bits of funk metal here and there, it also kind of gave a stoner metal vibe as well, especially “End of the Line” and “Summer in Space”. This is just in my opinion, but it has made me light up many times.

It kind of foreshadowed the band in a way because this was their last album together as Uncle Slam. Todd Moyer is such a great singer, guitarist, and songwriter that I really wish he would do more work even if it wasn’t Uncle Slam, but it just seemed that he just dropped off the face of the Earth. I will still continue to enjoy the music he made and be glad that this was ever released along with his other 2 albums before his work with The Brood.