© 2002-2020

Doesn't live up to the hype - 70%

WilliamAcerfeltd, November 16th, 2007

Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler is one of those albums which is over hyped to sickening proportions. Yes, it has its moments, but is it absolutely mind-blowing? No... What we have here is decent Norwegian black/folk metal which is really no better than any other folk project around.

This album at best, has semi-good songs to down right bad songs, examples are Chapter I: Lost in a Forest of Trolls and Chapter IV: A Voice is Calling respectively. The vocals consist of sung, black metal and whispers. Once, a reviewer said: "Garm has some of the most beautiful clean vocals ever." He doesn't, he’s definitely not a bad singer, hell, he IS good but saying he's the best in the business is really going overboard. The black metal vocals are decent.

Let’s look at the positive and negative aforementioned songs shall we?

Chapter I: Lost in a Forest of Trolls: Pretty good clean vocals and interesting riffs. There is a lot of variety in the riffling to keep you interested and has a pretty good ending. However, it's nothing mind blowing. Only clean vocals on this track.

Chapter IV : A Voice is Calling: pretty fucking abysmal, almost as bad, if not as bad as drawing down the moon (that album doesn't deserve capitalisation), lame, boring guitar riffs and whispered vocals which sucks. The song isn't metallic but hey, what would you expect from such a dull song? This song is the reason why this album lost 10 points. I was waiting for the song to swing into some fast and intense riffing but alas, it never happened. It's kinda like that episode of Itchy and Scratchy on the Simpsons where Poochey comes in, you're waiting for them to get to the fireworks factory, but they just drive past it and then it’s the end. The end? Yes that was my reaction; it left me with that hollow empty feeling of disappointment, which means you've been ripped off.

Thankfully there are no other songs like track 4 on the album. There is also a mix between soft parts and heavy parts of most songs on the album. There is usually a mix between clean vocals and black metal vocals as I alluded to above.

Another compliant I have about this album is that it's far too short. It's less than 35 minutes long, had the songs been longer or a few bonus tracks been added I would have enjoyed the experience more. Why? Well, the album is good and most people would want this enjoyable experience to go on longer, right? Also, I don't know about you, but I don't like buying albums which are under 40 minutes. So it’s rather tempting for me to just go and download the album, unless the album is really good and when I mean really good, I mean Moon in the Scorpio or SOTLB good.

However, acting as a counter-balance to its short length and adding incentive to actually buy the release, is the albums great art. Very nice, especially if you like forests at night, and I do.

Don't get me wrong, Bergtatt isn't a terrible release, I just expected more, a lot more and came away a bit disappointed with an album which I thought would be much better. So the question you've all been asking, should I go out and buy it? In my opinion, no, I would suggest you download it first, and then make a decision based on that.

Conclusion: The above is recommended for download or purchase.