The live b-side three keep the a-side awake - 80%

Gutterscream, June 19th, 2017
Written based on this version: 1983, 12" vinyl, Atlantic Records (Limited edition)

…but meanwhile all these straight motherfuckers who are staring at us, they don’t do shit, they sit there or stand there with the broomsticks up their ass…

Twisted fucking Sister, as they apparently like to be known when playing live, busily promote their debut full-lengther, Under the Blade, with a European tour that obviously includes the UK. London’s Marquee Club is but one stop on their list, but it’s the chosen venue where several tracks will be recorded during two days in March ’83 to be dished out amongst three separate singles/EPs with planned releases during the year to come. They’ll also kick start a party with a-sides from the band’s stoutly-named forthcoming lp, You Can’t Stop Rock ‘n Roll.

Now, “I Am (I’m Me)”, with its methodically delivered live-and-let-live lyrics and unchanging medium stroll, isn’t one of yer YCSRnR nail-biters, but in someone’s wisdom became the commercial fit for the first pre-album single, however I’ve always found it somewhat peculiar that surprisingly palatable ballad “You're Not Alone (Suzette's Song)”, a more marketable tune all around, wasn’t earmarked for this. Honestly, I’d like to say even less about the most uninteresting track on YCSRnR.

With “Tear It Loose” as the show starter and practically the show stealer, it immediately blasts way ahead of the pedestrian a-side which quickly becomes a fading dot in the rearview mirror, then just when you think the vocals during “Destroyer” are on the muddled side, you realize the muddling is the crowd droning right along. The lengthy Rolling Stones cover of “It’s Only Rock n’ Roll”, when they’re actually playing the song and not playing with the crowd (which is fun at first, then gets kinda tired by the eleventh minute, but overall displays Snider’s keen ability to indeed play a crowd – he definitely has the personality and the mouth for it), hauls off with all kinds of metalness.

7” versions offer up the live b-side “Sin After Sin”, which they evidently favor alongside “Tear It Loose” as a flown-off-the-handle show starter.