Yet Another Sighting - 91%

Strato_Superior, December 9th, 2018

“Anthropological Curiosities and Unearthed Archaeological Relics” is Troglodyte’s third full-length album. This Kansas City death metal band is well known for their Bigfoot-themed lyrics and imagery. Their musical style is based mostly off of classic death metal with hints of grindcore and thrash metal thrown in for good measure.

The vocals on this album go very well with the music and overall vibe. Jeff Sisson handles the mic for Troglodyte, and he does a fine job at it. He mostly maintains the same tone throughout the album, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Taking after the likes of Frank Mullen and Chris Barnes, Sisson has a deep vocal timbre but enunciates well and the lyrics can be deciphered fairly easily, another plus.

The guitar performance here is likely the best of any Troglodyte album. As usual, Troglodyte uses a healthy mix of fast-paced death metal and slower death grooves a la Obituary and Six Feet Under, but the overall technicality takes a step up with the addition of Michael Langner on guitar. Pinch harmonics are a recurring theme on this album, perhaps showing a Malignancy influence. There are a lot of catchy riffs on this album, with some of my favorites showing up on “Armed to the Teeth”, “Beware! Cocksquatch”, and “Dome Splitter”. There’s also some subtle diversity thrown into the mix here, too. The middle section of “Root Cellar Dweller” showcases something of a black metal influence, while “You’re Gonna Sweat” is a thrash metal song at heart. The bass could’ve probably been turned up in the mixing to produce a deeper sound, but it’s still fine as it is.

Chris Wilson turns in a strong performance behind the kit as well. There’s a variety of different drum patterns on this album, but it’s all handled well by Wilson, who provides a solid backbone to the bi-pedal monstrosity known as Troglodyte. Also noteworthy is his speed on the double-bass, which is seen early and often on this album.

I’m a sucker for a good gimmick and Troglodyte’s Bigfoot theme is no exception. This is campy horror at its finest, and the music goes with it perfectly. There are also some funny moments in the lyrics, and if you don’t at least get a kick out of a six-second grindcore song called “Ric Flair’s Hair”, then I don’t think our friendship is going to work out. This is an exceedingly fun album that I’m sure I’ll be enjoying for quite some time.