Yet Another Sighting - 91%

Strato_Superior, December 9th, 2018

“Anthropological Curiosities and Unearthed Archaeological Relics” is Troglodyte’s third full-length album. This Kansas City death metal band is well known for their Bigfoot-themed lyrics and imagery. Their musical style is based mostly off of classic death metal with hints of grindcore and thrash metal thrown in for good measure.

The vocals on this album go very well with the music and overall vibe. Jeff Sisson handles the mic for Troglodyte, and he does a fine job at it. He mostly maintains the same tone throughout the album, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Taking after the likes of Frank Mullen and Chris Barnes, Sisson has a deep vocal timbre but enunciates well and the lyrics can be deciphered fairly easily, another plus.

The guitar performance here is likely the best of any Troglodyte album. As usual, Troglodyte uses a healthy mix of fast-paced death metal and slower death grooves a la Obituary and Six Feet Under, but the overall technicality takes a step up with the addition of Michael Langner on guitar. Pinch harmonics are a recurring theme on this album, perhaps showing a Malignancy influence. There are a lot of catchy riffs on this album, with some of my favorites showing up on “Armed to the Teeth”, “Beware! Cocksquatch”, and “Dome Splitter”. There’s also some subtle diversity thrown into the mix here, too. The middle section of “Root Cellar Dweller” showcases something of a black metal influence, while “You’re Gonna Sweat” is a thrash metal song at heart. The bass could’ve probably been turned up in the mixing to produce a deeper sound, but it’s still fine as it is.

Chris Wilson turns in a strong performance behind the kit as well. There’s a variety of different drum patterns on this album, but it’s all handled well by Wilson, who provides a solid backbone to the bi-pedal monstrosity known as Troglodyte. Also noteworthy is his speed on the double-bass, which is seen early and often on this album.

I’m a sucker for a good gimmick and Troglodyte’s Bigfoot theme is no exception. This is campy horror at its finest, and the music goes with it perfectly. There are also some funny moments in the lyrics, and if you don’t at least get a kick out of a six-second grindcore song called “Ric Flair’s Hair”, then I don’t think our friendship is going to work out. This is an exceedingly fun album that I’m sure I’ll be enjoying for quite some time.

Bone Tomahawk OST - 83%

iamntbatman, June 26th, 2016

It was difficult for me not to get excited for a band called Troglodyte. The name alone (not to mention song titles, lyrical themes and the great cover art) brings to mind exactly the kind of death metal that scratches a certain itch: dumb as rocks, violent, percussive, filthy, old school and filled to the brim with crushing riffs. So, with my expectations through the roof, I have to admit I was somewhat let down by the band's previous outings. The band sported an unexpectedly modern sound that called to mind Dying Fetus more than anything else, with far too much going on in terms of technical fireworks to really sell the rest of the band's aesthetics to me. This was less 70's horror schlock murderous bigfoot and more mid 2000's big budget gore.

So how have the band fared since then, what with their lengthy "dumb bigfoot version of a Nile album title" schtick this time around? Well, they're still definitely brutal, and there's still a good deal of Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Deicide and Cannibal Corpse in the band's sound, there's still some flashy technicality, and it still sounds a bit too modern on the whole for my tastes. However, this time, there seems to be a larger emphasis on mid-paced groove sections and somewhat thrashier riffs that call to mind Obituary or even Vader. There's still that essential touch of hardcore that comes through mostly in the crushing breakdown sections (the pounding stomps that fill "Dome Splitter" are a great example) which adds a lot to the boneheaded brutality of the music. There's even a straight up speed/thrash metal song ("You're Gonna Sweat") that pushes things a bit into Ghoul territory, which makes a lot of sense given the sort of similar schlock horror imagery both bands sport.

Other improvements are vital as well; the vocal performance this time around is more focused and dare I say one-dimensionally old school, which is actually a big step up from the more modern mixed vocal styles utilized in past material which I wasn't really a huge fan of. The guitars have a huge, satisfying crunch that effectively conveys the weight of the chugs equally as well as the limb-shredding piercing pinch harmonics peppered throughout their riffs. The rhythm section has tons of breathing room, too, showcasing the drumming, which has been improved by adding extra nuance to the standard toolkit of death metal drum techniques. The songwriting has also improved, showcasing the band's signature variety from track to track as before but also much increased catchiness in the riffing, much likely the result of a change in lineup that saw both previous guitarists exit the band. While Langer hasn't fundamentally changed the band's approach in earth-shattering ways, his ear for fun, catchy riffs is a big step up as far as I'm concerned.

Still, would I like it if a band called Troglodyte sounded a bit more like a mashup of Jungle Rot and Coffins than kinda like an Americanized Krisiun? Yeah, yeah I would. But as far as short bursts of boneheaded, catchy, pit-wrecking death metal goes, Troglodyte are seriously overlooked as these guys are at least as good songwriters as many of the big names and have the riffs and production it takes to make waves in the modern death metal scene. I reckon they're probably a ludicrously fun in a live setting, too.