Hmmm... This sounds promising - 72%

BlackMetal213, August 11th, 2015

After releasing the monumental "Shogun" back in 2008, it would seem that Trivium would experience a downward spiral, beginning with the decent yet lacking "In Waves" in 2011. It wouldn't be until the monumental disappointment "Vengeance Falls" from 2013 that my opinion of this band's musical direction would completely turn sour. "Vengeance Falls" was an extremely boring album. The fact that it was produced by David Draiman didn't help either, as he obviously had influenced the musical direction the band took with that album. When I was informed that Trivium was returning this October with "Silence in the Snow", I didn't know what to think. On one hand, I was excited. On the other hand, however, I was concerned that they wouldn't be able to recover from their past release. Thankfully, after hearing this self-titled single for the upcoming disc, I am definitely a bit more hopeful. I will still most likely approach this album with caution, but this definitely sounds promising.

Right off the bat, this song definitely sounds different that what these dudes were doing on "Vengeance Falls". Musically, it is somewhat of a cross between "Shogun" and "In Waves". It's not as thrashy as "Shogun" but it's also not as metalcore-esque as "In Waves", basically meeting in the middle of those two albums while basically forgetting about "Vengeance Falls". At times, the guitar riffs sound very influenced by power metal, which isn't a territory these guys have really ever ventured into. The riffs are epic in nature and quite melodic. One thing I've always personally enjoyed about Trivium is their ability to create effectively melodic metal songs. Matt's vocals are also done very well here and add a lot to the already melodic song. However, aside from the power metal influenced riffing, there really isn't anything completely original or innovative going on here. This is one of the song's tragic flaws but it's also extremely hard to be completely original with music nowadays. Ideas are being recycled left and right from artists who have already done the exact same thing. This is a good metal song but really, that's about all it is.

Sure, this may not be an epic Trivium masterpiece. It still is a good song that does the band justice. Trivium was one of the bands to really get me into metal and while I am aware they have a poor reputation with a vast majority of metal fans, I will always have a soft spot for them in my heart. I really can't wait to hear the rest of this album and what it has to offer when it comes out on the second of October. Judging by this, it will definitely be an improvement upon "Vengeance Falls".