© 2002-2018

Mournful vocals
Heavy doom riffs
Evocative keys
Addicting album

I treasure this album, it represents what I love the most about funeral doom. That a single-person band with only a Bandcamp can unleash a masterpiece (at least in my perspective) that I can spin over and over and over. This is funeral doom at its best and purest. Guitar riffs, both crushingly heavy and light and acoustic, are layered perfectly with hypnotizing leads, cavernous and massive growls, and clean sung (or spoken word) vocals that remind me of Saturnus and Longing for Dawn.

A compelling atmosphere is achieved with this album without relying too much on keyboards (which remain a subtle but recognizable whisper in the background), although the Skepticism-like organs on The Great Silence absolutely nail it. I often find myself starting this album on The Path We Go when driving on a lonely night, or from the first track Winter when snow falls at a gentle pace from the sky. The pacing is slow throughout the album, as funeral doom should be in my opinion. A few bands can get away with sudden fast parts without it being too jarring.

There are a bunch of great riffs to be found on this album. Some might arguably be homages to far more known bands such as Mournful Congregation, but that isn't really a bad thing in my view. Tranqvillitas Maris manages to take enough from their influences without outright emulating them. This is truly an album they can call their own, it feels original and fresh.

When the album closes out with a softly approaching thunderstorm, it feels like the destination of a long and lonely journey through a desolate soundscape. I still get chills when this album closes off, because it reminds me of when I drove to South Carolina and there was a sunset on one side and dark stormy clouds on the other and I was driving right through the middle of it, expecting the storm ahead but admiring the beauty I was leaving behind. That was the trip I got to see a total Solar Eclipse with my own eyes.