© 2002-2022

Total Hate > Necare Humanum Est > Reviews
Total Hate - Necare Humanum Est

a masterpiece of Total Hate... - 90%

Akerthorpe, May 21st, 2013

Total Hate are back with 6 new tunes on the cd "Necare Humanum Est". Much like their last release, everything is pretty run of the mill here but what makes this band so fucking good is that they don't compromis their values or beliefs when they create their music. They are just so powerful in their faith and expression and that is what makes them stand out above the rest. Once again this is total chaos from start to finish. It almost seems as if this picks up whre the last album left off.

The 1st track starts off kinda slow with some spoken vocals then chaos ensues about half way through the song. They could have done an intro then this track but it works out better this way. Everything is nice and grim. not too raw, not too technical. Fans of old Mayhem, Gorgoroth and Tjsuder would love this track. These guys are on the attack again and they couldn't have picked a better way to start things off. "Chains and Blood" has a real thick Immortal/Dark Funeral vibe thing going on. The guitars have a nice bite to them and they really stand out here. The drums seem mashed together but take it in stride cause anything these guys do just oozes with hate and blasphemy and should be taken as an expression of such. This is a bit more raw than the 1st track but still keeping with the theme of annihilating everything before them. "Decline of a Human Life" is like a combo of the 1st 2 tracks with a bit of Darkthrone/Satyricon vibe thrown in. Seems to be a bit of a groove here. There is no aggression for the sake of such here. There is pure, absolute agony in every aspect of this song. This is a perfect example of a song title fitting the music or vice versa. Straight from Hell and well done!

"Your Light's Extinguished" starts off with a nice little drum roll then grabs you by the throat to take your last breath. The riffing here seems inspired by Mayhem/Morbid with a tinge of thrash thrown in. Not very many bands who play this type of music stray so far as to incorporate other genres but total Hate do it quite well and almost have it mastered. Great song here. I was impressed. Could have been longer though. "...Of Death's Harvest" starts out on the slow side with more of the spoken vocal a bit in the beginning. Then, speeding things up a bit, seem to add a bit of Celtic Frost and Venom influence although a tad more on the grim side. I really dig the vocals here. Very cold, ideal and well put together. Indeed the best song on the cd so far. Straightforward riffing and such but it seems a little more effort on the grim factor was thrown in...These guys just don't quit. "Northern Thrones" is a Throne of Ahaz cover tune. Having never heard the opriginal before I really can't say much here. It doesn't sound too bad but the previous track would have been a better way to end this cd. All in all this was a great way to end 2010 for these guys. I will definitely be looking for more from them in the coming year. With 2 extremely strong releases under their belt now, Total Hate are ready to lay waste to the metal world for years to come.

Not the most groundbreaking but a solid effort - 69%

dismember_marcin, December 5th, 2011

To be honest with you all, there was a time when German black metal was something that just made me laugh and feel pity for most of the bands from this country used to be absolutely shitty. Just think of all the crap that was coming out from the infamous Last Episode (Last Epitaph) Records and bands like Mystic Circle, Eminenz, Dunkelgrafen, Aeba and other similar shit. Yeah, I completely disliked everything that was coming out from Germany. Luckily many things have changed since then. Few bands appeared that caught my attention and some of them became my total favourites for the whole black metal scene - I'm talking here about Secrets of the Moon and Helrunar: two fantastic, wonderful bands. And there are also few other hordes that I really, really like, such as Nachmahr, Sun of the Sleepless, Dornenreich, Lunar Aurora... These bands play maybe more atmospheric kind of black metal, but there are also fantastic traditional acts like Graven, Vargsang and few others I don't remember now. Finally there are some less known bands, which also deserve to be recognised by the true and diehard maniacs, for their solid music, which maybe isn’t the most groundbreaking, but more than just decent. And Total Hate is exactly that kind of band. I already knew them from their first album, "Depopulating Planet Earth", they've done for Agonia Records. Damn, I can't find this CD now, too much stuff is in my CD closet and the mess is too big there, but I would love to listen to this album now again, prior to "Necare Humanum Est" to see if there are many changes between both albums... But that doesn't matter, as I already said "Necare Humanum Est" is more than just solid black metal album.

If you dig the mid period Darkthrone albums - and who doesn't? - then "Necare Humanum Est" is for you. While listening to this CD I have such classics as "Total Death" and "Ravishing Grimness" in my mind, not only for the sound quality, but mainly for the riffing and the overall style of the music of Total Hate. But there are also some similarities to the early Carpathian Forest, "Black Shining Leather" LP, as well as such bands as Gorgoroth (early) and Tsjuder... and here we go. This is what you can find here style wise. The song writing isn't innovative or original, it's just classic black metal, but the songs are very OK, the riffs are blasting with furious, necro energy and the atmosphere on the album is truly dark and hateful. The whole material is well diverse and so there's an equal measure of fast, intense and maybe slightly monotonously played tracks and mid paced, kind of black'n'rollish stuff, with some excellent and almost catchy riffing. The whole playing is very fine, I also like the vocals and the production of "Necare Humanum Est"... There’s just nothing bad I can say about it. And maybe it is not be the most remarkable of all black metal releases I've heard recently, but definitely it is a solid and worthy record, which I did enjoy listening to and will keep in my collection for sure.