Chapter Ahead Being Awesome. - 68%

almightyjoey, October 7th, 2009

Now, I don't know about you, but as soon as I saw this, I had to have it. From the mouth-watering combination of Boris and Torche on one 5" disc, up to the artwork featuring the two bands on a fake movie poster, complete with faux-Japanese font. Sadly, by the time I was going to pick it up, I learned it was somewhat of a collector's item, so it'll be a while before it makes my collection. However, on a more positive note, I've heard it. And damn, is it good.

What I like about it is that both bands are very, very similar in my eyes. They're both incredibly good at what they do, and play very similar genres. In fact, they're pretty much evenly matched if I was to choose a preferred band. The interesting thing on the split is that they've changed a llittle. Instead of both bands playing a song each of "accessible-pop-sludge", they've pretty much split down the middle. By that, I mean that Boris play a pop song, and Torche play one of the sludgiest things they've ever done.

Now, starting chronologically, with Boris. Don't fret about my 'pop' comment. It's still the Boris we know and love, just a lot more accessible than their previous albums (even moreso than Smile or Heavy Rocks or Pink). This was the first song they did in the style of their new sound of Heavy Rock Classics, and their newest singles. It's a twelve minute progressive piece with some background fuzz, courtesy of Wata. The thing that really shines through is definitely the drums, though. On their last.fm page, there was even a debate regarding their speed, questioning if they were played by a drum machine, played and then sped up, or whether Atsuo was just that good a drummer. This still remains a mystery, but what IS known is that the drums are incredibly fast here, and it's hard to listen to without tapping your leg or wondering what time signature it's in.

Finally, Torche kick in with 'King Beef'. The interestingly titled track is, like I said earlier, probably the heaviest thing they've done. The guitars and bass are even more downtuned than usual, and the drums are a lot more slogging and louder. In fact, upon the first few seconds, a comparison to early Swans grasped me. I find it wears out it's welcome after a short while, though, as there is little progression, and the rhythm grows stale upon the third or fourth minute. Thankfully, it changes at around that time, but the repetition is still evident.

Overall, it's a pretty good split. I had astronomical expectations of it, though, so perhaps I had bigged it up to impossible heights. There is no 'stand-out', since there are only two pieces, and each are fairly different to one another. Each one is probably among my least favourite in the band's repetoir, but given how much I like each band, that's a fairly glowing criticism.