© 2002-2024

Thy Grief > The Frozen Tomb of Mankind > Reviews
Thy Grief - The Frozen Tomb of Mankind

Weeping Coldness - 80%

cotarelo, December 28th, 2006

By 1997 most Black Metal masterpieces had been released, the most important bands were already aging away and the genre was being divided by underground traditionalists and the more commercially viable heavy metal based vampire bands. To me, Thy Grief is a band of honest musicians that studied well the genre of Norwegian Black Metal and decided to create a musical essay which is what this is, before disbanding as if for respect for themselves and for the genre they pay tribute to.

The music is pretty cool, solid and dark with a melancholic vibe to it through out the album. For black metal is a very easy listen without being too simple. I would say this is melodic mid tempo metal which on three tracks slow down to doom-like speeds. Blast beats are used sparsely which gives the sense of a lightly atmosphere so you can clearly hear the guitar melodies grow and fuck man, there are some really beautiful melodies here that remind me of Emperor and Gorgoroth. Drum variation range from the repetitive drone-like necro black metal to the more rock like Dissection style in its low moments. There are some quintessential black metal moments that are great but sadly the overall composition falls short from the great bands they got their inspiration from and immediately shows the weak points to the album which is when they replace musical theory with sentimental melodrama to achieve their aesthetic goal which probably was to create a dark and melancholic ambience, but instead they rather achieve nostalgic and sentimental tunes. Keyboards complement the emotional background with class without being overused very Emperor influenced. Tracks 3,5 and 8 are sort of balladesque doomier stuff that decorate the album with more obvious sadness and despair and that is when keyboards unfold with melodramatic clouding. Track 4 fucking killz, this band studied well the Gorgoroth mastery of melodic greatness. The rest of the songs are of good quality. I think that the music has a sincere intention or spirit and in its darkness and nostalgia there is a kind of intensity that reminds me of early Immortal, a contemplative fascination with nature and feelings of desolation. Vocals are low key shrieking whispers with some gothic clean whispered parts that fit the music perfectly because these tunes could be described as delicate rather than blasting brutal or dissonant. I would say Thy Grief are more cold harsh than savage and maybe waltzlike like Graveland on the second track. In its core emotion this is dancelike funeral music that celebrates rather than pays homage to the dead. Lyrics are about lonely souls that wander through cold misty forests and mountains trying to find an inner world to escape the material society that suffocate the free spirited, there is meaning in embracing nature just before our very last breath.
Humankind shall be put to rest and when that happens, Nature will reign supreme again!