One of the best deathcore albums of all time. - 93%

Erasofmisery, October 1st, 2015
Written based on this version: 2010, CD, Skull and Bones Records

Of all the TAIM releases, The Adversary easily takes the cake. This is one of the most brutal and technical albums you could ever find. Deathcore and even death metal fans alike would praise this album. And as much as I love Infinite Death, changing the style and direction of the band was a great decision.

Firstly I'd like to go to my favorite part, being the guitars. The riffs are absolutely evil as fuck and there are plenty of solos and sweeps employed in EVERY song, excluding the intro. They aren't being technical just to show off, but they are showing what they can do to fit the style, and the result is outstanding. As far as I know, all the guitars were written by former lead guitarist Gary Markowski, who in my opinion was a pure genius. The sound and style he had in mind worked perfectly. I was sad to see that he wasn't in the band anymore, because I highly prefer the sound of The Adversary over the sound of any other of their releases, mainly Hate.

Secondly, the vocals are just as crushing and were most definitely a major part of the album. CJ's vocals sound monstrous, powerful, and sickening. His highs are full of rage and ferocity, while his lows are deep and full of anger. He also occasionally uses deep gutturals which aren't used quite as often but still maintain the same amount of power as his other vocal styles.

Next is the drums. Considering he was the youngest member of the band, Lee Stanton proves himself to be one of the fastest, and most consistent drummers in metal. The incredible speed he utilizes and his constant blast beating is very impressive. He also pulls off some very fast double bass kicks. Even if he wasn't so young, I'd still be just as impressed with Lee's drum work. His drums beats hit extremely hard and absolutely crush whenever they come.

Sadly, there is no bass to be heard on this album, which is a shame because having bass would make this album even better than it already is. CJ also tends to do lows more often and sometimes not fully utilize his range. Another minor con is that all the songs seem to have the same general structure and pattern, and tend to be repetitive. Usually an just blast beating, vocal lines, breakdowns, and solos. That's not to say that it is bad however, it is all amazing, but the songs could be a bit more varied, that's all. Speaking of breakdowns, there are half as many on this than on your average deathcore album, and when they come, they absolutely fucking deliver. The intensity in the drum hits and the heavy tone of the guitar fits perfectly together. There are some songs that are more memorable than others because certain songs are just more appealing. For me, the first six songs are all fantastic, I get a little bored around the next three songs which are overall just less interesting but still very solid, don't get me wrong. And the final two tracks end the album off perfectly. One being a powerful instrumental which pumps you up for the final track.

All in all, TAIM put out nothing but a solid, amazing album with a ton of effort, talent, and hatred poured into it and out came one of the best deathcore albums to exist. I wish they held onto this sound because it puts everything else to shame. They improved very well after Infinite Death and I was hoping they'd improve even more afterwards. Still, this album is a work of art, and is very underrated. Out of all the TAIM albums, this album is given the least credit and is looked at a lot less than their other records. If you love technical or melodic death metal like The Black Dahlia Murder or The Faceless, then you will probably like this just as much minus the breakdowns. If you are a fan of deathcore, you will love this album no matter what unless you prefer very simple, more chugged deathcore.