© 2002-2022

Through the Pain > Time Heals Nothing > Reviews > Perplexed_Sjel
Through the Pain - Time Heals Nothing

Three Average Songs Eclipse One Monumental Song. - 60%

Perplexed_Sjel, June 11th, 2010

I’m not sure what I was expecting from Through The Pain. After the split with Trist, the iconic Czech Republic based one man band, I was on the fence as to whether or not I thought this band could succeed in this sub-genre. It seems that their first full-length, entitled ‘Time Heals Nothing’, has been well received by the masses, but I find it to be really ponderous and not at all charismatic. The material seems to take an influence from Trist, as well as Hypothermia, but without the gruelling, punishing and downright devastating affect those two iconic bands in the sub-genre draw out through their agonising music. Although Trist have seemingly gone down the shitter with their lead man, also named Trist, being somewhat psychotic (I do believe he actually does have a few mental issues) and Hypothermia becoming more and more secluded from the scene, there is room for someone to take their place while they look to be on hiatus. Through The Pain could have it all if they actually worked on being powerful instead of clichéd. There is only one true highlight to this album, otherwise it’s very much a by-the-book affair with little in the way of innovation from the standard. It’s not exactly well paced, seeing as the songs are quite long, but it is sufficiently melancholic and emotional, though it could have done with stronger riffs because, on songs like ‘Absence of Will’, the bass tends to eclipse the performance of the guitar.

The fact that they have Hypothermia’s drummer, Richard, enlisted into the newly formed line-up, though only as a session member, the three-some could have shared the spoils of taking advantage of a real leading inspiration in today’s present scene, but ‘Time Heals Nothing’ is a fairly formulaic display of negative emotions and really doesn’t spark any new energy, or life into the sub-genre which has seen a recent improvement in technical ability and vision through the likes of Pensées Nocturnes and so forth. With bands now starting to introduce elements of classical, neoclassic and other various genres into this negative spectrum, Through The Pain are beginning to gather dust by reproducing what bands like Hypothermia have already covered. Whilst I’m not against the idea of taking after your role models, after all, that is how many numerous sub-genres and fresh sounds are created, there must be an extra added element to the music to make transform it from an overused, formulaic branch of music, to an extraordinary display of negative emotions, grace, subtleties and do forth.

Bands like Gris, for example, have worked tirelessly on producing a top-quality sound by introducing a wide range of elements into their music that don’t normally get associated with depressive black metal. In fact, their music is so adventurous and unique that it really seems to transcend black metal altogether. If it were not for the agonising vocals of Icare, I would wonder whether or not it can be pigeon holed into a genre like depressive black metal. Through The Pain do some things differently, as shown well on ‘Absence of Will’, which actually feels far more upbeat than your normal song in this sub-genre. The bass on this particular song is very good. It gives the atmosphere a bouncy, vibrant quality despite the nature of the song attempting to be downright depressed. The song title, the rasped vocals and even the structure of the song should all point to a negative conclusion, but the material feels somewhat, and refreshingly so, jovial, hopeful and upbeat. Not something I would have expected from a sub-genre, or band like this who revolve around sullen emotions.

This song seems to stand alone however. None of the other songs conjure up such a happy atmosphere. The bass, on this song, is incredibly important. It gives a positive, bright outlook and a sunny feel to the material, as if we’re gazing through a clean window onto a beautiful landscape with the sun shining down on it and on us, making life all the more glorious. This song doesn’t really fit into the general mould of the album, but I love it! It’s definitely the best song on the album by far. It shows an inventive side to Through The Pain which isn’t always on offer during the rest of the songs. Unfortunately, this one break-away song is the second shortest of the four available to us and isn’t as groundbreaking as it may seem. There have been upbeat black metal and songs for years, perhaps dating all the way back to Ulver’s iconic ‘Nattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne til Ulven i Manden’. Once again, the song lengths also become an issue because, seeing as the songs are so repetitive from the drums, to the guitars, the songs could quite easily convey the same message in a much shorter space of time rather than eclipsing the eleven minute mark. This album is decent, in places, but very unsurprising in most others.