© 2002-2022

Throne of Katarsis > The Three Transcendental Keys > Reviews > BurdenEradication
Throne of Katarsis - The Three Transcendental Keys

I hate people... I hate everyone... - 93%

BurdenEradication, December 14th, 2013

What a journey.

This is the fourth Throne of Katarsis album, and it by far transcends (no pun intended) literally every single release before it. From the first notes of the First Transcendental Key, I was totally subdued. The atmosphere created evokes an image within my mind of a cloaked figure leading me through archaic, abandoned ruins full of startling spiritual energy.

Infamroth's vocals sound better than ever on this release, and they are best noted in the first key. You will find a varied range of shrill screams and cries far more bitter and cold sounding than on any release before. There's also some of that chant-like singing, used very strongly in the first key. Vardalv's drumming smashes and carries along the entirety of the song's energy, with the guitar work elevating it to a total feeling of dark ebullience. It is the fastest track on the album, and shows the ravaging, resilient nature of the group's cold work.

The album is almost a downward progression based on speed. The second key is fairly mid-paced with lots of Infamroth's classic vocal style, while musically still maintaining the overall feel of the first key, Opening with a slow and eerie riff, the song progresses into a steady pace and relieves some of the pressure from the intensity of the first track. After completing its purpose, the second track comes to a slow, foreseen-yet-prolonged end, bringing feedback to the listener's ears, providing an image of a cave-like recording studio with fire and skulls amidst the abode, invoking a deathlike emanation.

When the third key comes along, it almost feels as though it's part of the track before it- all three keys are very interconnected and intertwined with each other. The third key picks up a bit quicker than the first, bringing it to a quick pace akin to the latter. Vardalv's drumming is what maintains this fast pace; the guitars drone on their obscure melodies, unorthodox yet mesmerizing. Infamroth's final evocative shrieks are displayed in full force in the third key. They are so fucking awesome. It's like if you were to walk by a dark forest at night, even just on its edge, and you hear the most awful sounding howls from within that seek to drive you away, as a banshee drives away its targets.

Drawing in the vitality and pulse of the speed, and the recalling of certain elements of the first key (insofar as a riff brought in by the bass but delivered in a different manner afterwards by the rest of the instruments.) It is here where the album feels like it has come full circle when the listener reaches its end, as the track ends with that feedback, prolonged to feel just as much a part of the track and album as a whole as any other part in any of the songs.

Once the journey is complete, the soul will feel light and conscious, as though it had actually just traveled up a winding staircase on the side of a mountain at night just to seek shelter and the possibility to have a fire, because you're freezing. The album cover actually depicts a great visual feel for the atmosphere of the record. It's got that "vintage, black and white" kind of feel to it, and the feelings evoked by the purple fits together nicely with the album's overall feel.

This is Throne's most different and dynamic release to date, topping all that came before it without question. The highlight track of the 3 is most definitely the first, but the entire album is, as I've stated, its own journey, and should therefore be listened to properly and in full. It is recommended to anyone interested in vintage-sounding black metal, less of the trademarked "Norwegian black metal style" (though they affiliate directly with this.) The fans of said genre may not enjoy it as much as "An Eternal Dark Horizon" per se, though they will appreciate the direction the band has took. Others into stuff such as the first Ruins of Beverast album, even groups like Mare or Celestial Bloodshed would be damn proud of this record. I know I am. Well done, Throne! My respects go to Infamroth and Vardalv for their contribution to this wondrous dark art that is Throne of Katarsis.