© 2002-2021

This is slow. - 75%

planiol, May 20th, 2009

It’s all about the riffs here. This shit is slow and heavy. It also has a good Louisiana metal sound to it, which reminds me of Crowbar. Most Crowbar songs have more upbeat, hardcore sounding parts, and then the slow as fuck sludge metal parts with the sweet, crushingly heavy riffs. Thou’s first demo is like all the slow parts of Crowbar put together to form songs. The whole thing is really heavy, and it can be boring if you don’t like that kind of thing or if you’re not in the right mood for it.

Every once in a while you can hear some singing on here. Slow, mid-range vocals that fit the music. This is before Thou got their singer, and I have to admit I have not heard a lot of their later stuff. The reason for that is that the vocals on the later stuff I do not like. On this demo, one of the guitar players provides sparse vocals that fit the music and don’t sound bad. They are “clean” vocals, meaning that he sings in a regular voice. Thou’s later stuff has a singer who sings in a very harsh, monotone style. I prefer Matthew’s vocals.

This is definitely what I would call sludge metal. It’s fucking slow. The riffs are heavy, the drums are slow, and the vocals are rarely heard. There are also some pretty parts. If you like that kind of thing, this is worth hearing.