Why? - 25%

calm_sea, December 28th, 2010

I'm not going to spout off a line of jive about how this album (and band) are a plague upon the metal world, but I don't know what the purpose of this album (and band) is.

The structure of these songs is incredibly repetitive and weak, the vocals are bland, and the lyrics are contrived, rudimentary, and mind numbing.

Everything about the music pushed out here by The Sword seems pointless. There's no immediacy to any of the music or the lyrics. It seems so passionless. The lyrics are very basic given the topics they concern, and at the end of the record I'm left wondering why I've been listening to this thing and why I should care about any of this.

From a studio sound perspective, it's not that horrid. Though the cymbal use is confusing, that's more of a criticism on the playing, not the studio sound. I listen to music with a wide range of recording qualities, and I generally prefer records with a more organic and warm sound, even if the quality is harsh, compared to a streamlined and overly produced one. This record is somewhere in the middle and from a sound perspective it does not bother me.

I think I will theorize as to the reason for this record (and bands') existence. There has been a widespread rise in heavy bands in the doom/stoner and "traditional" metal genre in the last 10 years with varying degrees of success. I'm assuming these guys formed as a direct result of this in order to make some loot. There's no obvious passion here and from what I've gathered the band members have no other reason to carry the torch for heavy metal. When the metal scene members stop yelling about how The Sword is destroying metal they'll realize that none of the audience this music seems to have been made for will even remember their records. This music is disposable.

It's hip, it's happening, and I don't give a shit. - 15%

hells_unicorn, September 5th, 2008

There’s been an awful lot of discussion over the past year and a half regarding this whole notion of hipsters invading the metal scene within purist circles. Here they come with their fashionable sensibilities, capricious personalities, vapid tastes and banal humor, in some sort of Entryist style conspiratorial endeavor to subdue and ultimately culture the beast of metal in a manner that a virus would the cells of a host body. It sounds absurd enough, seeing as most of these types stick out like a sore thumb in a group of real metal fans, as they embody the mirror opposite of the concept through which a hipster exists. A lot of this alarmist energy is focused on this particular album, due in no small part to the flock of fans that it has attracted, most of who wouldn’t know what metal is if it gouged their eyes out with a plastic spork

Naturally it’s a little unfair to knock a band just because the majority of their audience make fun of most of the cultural make up of our favorite genre and it’s more extreme styles, and usually coming off as total numbskulls while doing so. The thing that really matters, at the end of the game, is the quality of the product itself, and it is here where even the most pretentious of the hipster archetype takes a backseat in the revulsion department as far as I’m concerned. Some might call this an either intentional or unintentional fit of musical self-parody, or perhaps a horribly botched attempt at marrying stoner/doom metal of a quasi-traditional manner to a halfwit’s mishmash of disorganized fantasy/mythological themes, but no matter what you call it the ultimate result is something that is utterly torturous to the ears and the mind.

I’m something of a newcomer to the doom sub-genre, so it’s kind of sad how easily I can pick out all of the recycled ideas guising as what some metal veterans are surprisingly calling a fresh take on metal. The annoying as hell substitution of the crash cymbal for the ride cymbal is right out of Sleep’s playbook, although The Sword thought it would be a good idea to turn the cymbal tracks up even more and bang on them as hard as possible, resulting in about 70% of this album sounding like nails on a chalk board, although being just short of overpowering so you can hear all of the other unpleasant aspects of the music. The riffs have some semblance of Sabbath worship, along with about a half dozen other older doom acts ranging from Trouble to Electric Wizard, all just thrown together like a random stew of half digested meat, none of them coming close to resulting in memory retention. The hipster band charge really starts to show some signs of accuracy here, as most of that sort may be able to identify a song, but can hardly be asked to recall it independent of hearing it at the time of being asked to do so.

Now if the band being completely indistinctive isn’t enough, the contents of this album don’t fully qualify as doom metal in the sense one would guess by the label, but instead some odd version of half-doom that also tries to employ various elements of post-black album 90s Metallica style alternative rock and some extremely sloppy imitations of early 80s pre-thrash speed metal. Although “Barael’s Blade” tries to act like an old style Sabbath emulation presented in a muddled Sleep sort of atmosphere, that redundant as hell principle riff sounds like something swiped off of one of the Load albums. “Freya” starts off with something that sounds closer to a Sabbath riff circa Vol. 4, though again it’s so indistinct that you’ll find yourself going back to that opening riff before all the meandering and stylistic confusion that follows to confirm this a few times because despite it’s simplicity, it doesn’t lend itself to immediate recall.

On and on this thing plods and goes through its disorganized yet ironically predictable motions, almost as if begging the listeners to either recoil in disgust or laugh their asses off. I have to admit that I did the latter upon first hearing “Iron Swan”, which I am guessing is regarded as some sort of innovative hybrid of doom and thrash metal by fans of this band. In truth, what is heard is an extremely bland set of speed riffs, sometimes sounding like Metallica’s famed almost return to thrash metal “Fuel”, at other times exhibiting a stew of recycled and slowed down Slayer fragments presented in a messy, “Dopesmoker” era Sleep meets “Load” era Metallica fashion. Now to be fair to both of those bands during that particular time period, those albums did have a level of merit despite being fairly lackluster, which is more than I can say for this.

One could go on about the obvious issues this album has and fill a small book without even touching the most fatal flaw of this beneficiary of the advent of hyped novelty, namely the vocals of J.D. Cronise. It’s fitting that this guy is the mastermind of this whole affair since aside from his meandering riff composing and colorless solos, not to mention the pedestrian and utterly random George R.R. Martin quote splicing at play here, the man has no vocal identity to speak of. Maybe it’s just my own status as a Sci-Fi/Fantasy geek and a lover of Norse mythology, but when I see even half assed lyrics paralleling these subjects in the album booklet, I at least expect a voice that has the eccentric qualities necessary to stand out in the crowded halls of heavy metal. Whether it’s Fabio Lione, ZP Theart, Erick Adams, Ronnie James Dio, Elise Martin or Jari Mäenpää; love them or hate them for their respective styles or the heroic lyrics they vocalize, you know who they are the minute the first note hits the microphone. The same thing goes for all of the best black, death, symphonic or straight up heavy metal singers that have ever sang about the stories conjured up in the heathen lands of Northern and Western Europe.

And what does Cronise bring to the table you might ask? The answer is one of blandest, driest, and most utterly plain of voices to ever be recorded in metal’s near 40 year history. Picture any guy that could have been in a high school choir and learned how to sing on pitch, well, mostly on pitch at least, but who never went beyond blending in with 70 to 80 other trained singers. Now take the rest of the choir away and put a guitar in his hands and you’ve got what’s on here. There’s no passion in these notes, not attitude, no attempt at sounding either wicked or stoic, there’s only low and high notes sung at a singular volume with a flat, mostly clean inflection. The Ozzy imitator allegations thrown at this are utterly baseless, regardless to whether he’s even attempting to do so or not, because there is no discernable similarity to be found. For all the flaws and limitations in his singing, you’d know Ozzy’s ugly, nasally, warlock-like bellows when you hear them, whereas with Cronise you could only identify it by recognizing it as that guy with the plain sounding voice who tries to sing fantasy oriented doom metal.

Other than maybe the warning label that comes in the form of opening track “Celestial Crown”, which sounds nothing like what the title implies and is so utterly boring and bare in it’s droning, change from the first chord to the second every 15 seconds beauty that you’d likely give up on this album before the 2 minute overture concludes, there’s little that can be described in a positive light. The only thing I can remember liking about this album was getting aroused by the half-clothed, hippie looking blonde that is supposed to be the goddess Freya on the album cover, for a little less than a minute of course, before remembering that it was a picture and not the real thing.

People seem to get bent out of shape over this music getting all this attention, but I don’t really see much point in dwelling on it now. So what if some of these songs made it onto Guitar Hero, some other video game and a few popular television shows? This isn’t the impending death of heavy metal, this is nothing more than a pseudo-metal version of Moby. Yes, that annoying pop artist who mass marketed his sonic dribble via television commercials because nobody would actually listen to his music without something else distracting them and pushing it into the background. I can guarantee you that 10 years from now very few people will care about “Age Of Winters” enough to pull it off the CD shelf, wipe the dust away and have some sort of perverse celebration commemorating the 10th anniversary of metal’s demise.

It’s annoying to have to deal with issues such as hipster culture, indie culture, the Seattle grunge scene, and all this other crap that is more about socio-political issues than music itself. But albums like this invite the sort of criticism it’s been getting from so-called metal elitists because it can’t be enjoyed for its musical attributes. It’s not merely derivative, it’s downright boring, so naturally when it gets what appears to be underserved praise the heavy metal conspiracy theorists are going to come out with computer keyboards blazing. I can’t join in the fray in that respect because I don’t feel threatened by this stuff. In 2 or 3 years these capricious hipster types will move on and project their inner sense of purposelessness onto some other art form, and you and I will still be here, loving metal for the expression of musical freedom that it truly is. I’ll admit that it’s occasionally fun to light up the torches and seek out the heretics, as any other good Catholic metal head would surely approve of, but this alleged threat to our church was over before it started.

Obviously opinions vary on the musical content of on here, so I’ll simply say that if you are a fan of butchered doom metal, you might like this. Personally, I’m not sure how any staunch fan of Black Sabbath, Trouble, Saint Vitus, Electric Wizard, or any other reputable doom or stoner metal band could find this enjoyable, but I am a new comer so I guess my tastes are a bit different. And for all of you bristling anti-hipsters out there, the best way to make this go away is to ignore it. I’ll admit that after the first listen, I was a little upset for having spent $12 on this, but you get over these things. Let the whorish mainstream enjoy their doom metal knockoff and instead, put all that energy into something useful like making money to pick up the new Heaven And Hell album when it comes out.

Originally submitted to (www.metal-observer.com) on September 5, 2008.

Hell bent on destryoing my credibility - 76%

BastardHead, September 3rd, 2008

The Sword is one of those bands that a lot of metalheads scoff at as being third rate wannabes with nary a shred of artistic integrity. One of those sad amalgamations of hipster kids that wanted to cash in on the popularity of metal. While, yes, the founding member was originally a founding member of an indie band, the premise of The Sword being formed purely for financial gain is laughable considering the last four words of the preceding sentence make as much sense as shit scented deodorant. Metal has a massive and loyal following, true, but if they really wanted to make money off the style, they would've taken a route like thrash revival or metalcore. Y'know, something that's proven to be an almost guaranteed snatch of at least half of one's fifteen minutes of fame. Who knows why the style switch happened? I guess only the members themselves will, but it's a pretty safe bet that they simply enjoy the music. I find it strange that people lambast a band for doing something purely because they think it's cool... why the fuck else are you supposed to do something? Sex is pretty cool is it not? Well, since you haven't been having sex since birth then dammit you don't deserve to have any now!. You eat sausage with your pancakes for years? Did you recently discover that bacon is actually the ultimate breakfast enhancer? Too bad asshole! Tough shit, you should've thought of that before you started with sausage you fucking heathen.

You see the absurdity? I can understand spiting a kid who takes up skateboarding just because his friends do. Sure, he can give the activity a bad name with his lack of understanding of the history and/or totally bodacious slang. He may even make a complete fool out of himself by busting his melon trying to drop in on the half pipe at your local skate park... but can you really keep hating him if he persists and turns out to be a solid skateboarder? That's The Sword in my eyes. It seems to me like they may have taken up playing a watered down High on Fire style for either of the two reasons listed above: either they liked it to begin with, or because of a third party. Either way, the end result isn't undesirable. It's derivative and lacking in substance at times, true, but the riffs are solid enough and played competently.

I'll be the first to admit, while I do enjoy the occasional listen to Age of Winters, there are two very glaring flaws that make the album either unintentionally laughable or difficult to listen to. The first point is the lyrics, holy hell and a half do these lyrics blow a fat one. Here is a tutorial on how to write lyrics for a Sword album: go to your local library and check out a book about mythology. Greek, Norse, Finnish, whatever, everything gets a mention. Now go to a zoo and throw it at the chimpanzees. After a few days, retrieve the book from the cage, pick out every sentence with feces smeared on it, and then throw them together haphazardly. They don't have to fit into a pleasing cadence, they don't have to follow a rhyme scheme, just as long as you cram as many awesome sounding names in there as you can. Congratulations! You have successfully written Lament for the Aurochs! +666EXP! Level up! The second point of contention is the drummer. Either this man has the ride mixed far too high, or he seriously uses the crash to keep the beat. Either way there is a constant *TEEESH TEEESH TEEESH* noise carrying on throughout the entirety of almost every single track at nearly the same beat with very little variation. It can be grating and makes the album almost impossible to finish if you notice it, and believe me, once you notice it, it doesn't go away.

As for everything else, it's nothing special, but yet it's nothing to earn your ire. A majority of the riffs may give you a little niggling feeling of deja vu, but they flow together so well you seem to forget that Sleep wrote these riffs many a moon ago. Even so, songs like Iron Swan and The Horned Goddess give my head little choice except to bang excessively. Many of the riffsets are nothing short of punishing and 100% heavy fucking metal, as unoriginal as they may be. I'll admit that the last three songs manage to fall flat on the whole, with Ebethron having a really unnecessary drum ditty in the middle, March of the Lor having easily the lamest riffs on the whole album and some of the worst I've heard period (bizarrely, they are sprinkled between some of the most intense moments on the record), and Lament for the Aurochs plodding on for far too long. Freya has gained national exposure due to the Guitar Hero series, but I still find it to be enjoyable with a scrumptiously satisfying main riff, despite the overexposure and being the band's Stairway to Heaven (I say that solely in the sense that is the only song that casual fans can name off the top of their heads). It's hard to verbalize what makes the music good, but believe me it's a love it or hate it type of thing. Imagine Blessed Black Wings simplified and with a below par drunken crooner behind the mic, but imagine it sounding good.

I've dwelled on the negative for a majority of this review, and I'm actually coming up short on why the album and band don't deserve the shit that they usually get. It's derivative, has a lazy vocalist, an annoying drum production, and god awfully bad lyrics, but dammit it's good. Age of Winters is greater than the sum of it's parts, and yet I can't quite explain why. It's comparable to (brace yourself readers, here comes another food comparison) grilled cheese. It's fatty, greasy, bare bones, minimalistic, and pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to cuisine... but holy DAMN does it taste good! Really, this is a controversial record and an objective analysis is somewhat difficult to come by. The dribbling fools hailing this to be top notch doom metal need to pull their heads out of their ass for fear of choking on their heads, and the staunch haters need to loosen up their tin foil helmets, it's probably restricting bloodflow. Just because a fairly unoriginal and catchy band garners mainstream attention doesn't indicate the destruction of the underground. Motorhead will still put out great records, Altars of Madness will sound just as good as it did almost twenty years ago, and Origin will still play a mindblowingly fast brand of technical death metal. And even if any of this changes, none of it can be blamed on The Sword's rise to fame. Listen and judge for yourself, but try not to make up your mind before hearing it.

Raw and Unfocused - 75%

peacefrog36, July 1st, 2008

In their first release you see a band trying to capture the same essence and power of old sabbath while throwing in the occasional thrash riff. At times it works and results in a headbanging gem such as in Freya, Iron Swan, or Lament of the Aurochs. While in other songs the attempts to create some massive grandoise masterpiece just result in two minutes of wow and another four minutes of 'this songs still going'.

The guitar throughout the album sticks with heavy riffing with a few exceptions (Iron Swan, March of the Lor) While the riffs are acceptable few of them really standout and some sound like a variation of other doom or stoner bands work. The solos are actually pretty good but are few between and and only two are actually good the whole way through. You find that you'll enjoy snippets of the solos and not the whole thing most of the time.

The drums are complex and are constantly in bang your ass off mode. Trivett shows excellent timing and intracacies but The Sword sticks with a bashing plodding beat while trying to compose songs of monolithic porportion. As I said the drums are always 'on'. Their is one drum solo (Ebethron)

The bass usually follows the guitar with slight variations on the riffs but it also is lost in the maelstrom of noise that comes from the dual guitars and the bashing drums.

In a whole the band tries 'too' hard at times just causing songs to more and more overblown and ridiculous as there run time becomes longer and longer. The lyrics are cheesy at times and are just basic recalling of norse mythology.

The album overall is a decent first release with some very bright spots and some slow, overblown parts that just result in noise. The album has an almost jam like feel during many songs, it seems like the band just went in the studio without ever actually deciding how long their songs should be or how its format would be (their is no verse chorus verse styles here). The songs seem like they came out of jams with lyrics thrown in. Only a few songs escape this.

The band has almost all of its ingredients but it still hasn't figured out how much of each should go in.

Best tracks: Iron Swan, Freya, Celestial Crown/Baraels Blade,

The Sword – Age of winters - 70%

inaholereviews, November 9th, 2007

The Sword – Age of winters
My First impression of this album was not good, too slow and too dull. But out off all the albums I've come to listen to recently this is the one that has grown on me by far the most. From the outset this album from this Texan doom metal band, with its aptly name "age of winters" came across to me as a sounding a bit like early Black Sabbath played really slowly. Though as time and this album progressed, the slow, almost classic guitar riffage played with its sluggish rhythm, became more and more infectious to me.

The guitars although slow, they contain a certain groove and energy, giving a more complex sound that is surprising catchy. Infused with a great strong southern sound gives each track its edge, the groove of this album is really makes this album stand out from other doom metal bands. Although Doom metal, this it is not specially heavy, The vocals, with a doubled / dual vocal sound, deliver cold and eerie sound to the music that fits very well with the lyrical themes of Norse mythology thought-out.

This is not an album that catches you by the balls, and most people wont like this album initially, but this album is an acquired taste, slowly growing on you. For that reason this bands unique sound deserves a second or third listen.

Best tracks: Freyu, Iron Swan, Winters Wolves

[7/10]

Leaves a nasty taste in the mouth - 5%

kapitankraut, September 13th, 2007

The Sword's debut album "Age of Winters" nearly managed to put me off doom metal before I'd even started. Yes, dear reader, it is truly that bad.

Doom metal, as many of us presumably know, requires atmosphere. It requires sincerity. Most of the time, not to put too fine a point on it, it requires some element of what I call "doominess". "Doominess" is that glorious feeling you get listening to good doom metal when you suddenly realise that the ten-minute-long track is halfway over and the vocalist hasn't yet used his vocal cords in anger, or when you realise that the lyrics are so unspeakably pessimistic that you're not sure if you want the sun to come up tomorrow. "Age of Winters" has none of the above.

What "Age of Winters" does have, and has in spades, is what might be termed the outward form of doom metal. All those down-tuned guitar riffs propelling the song along and so on are here. The vocals, too, sometimes approach a suitably doomy style, but never really get there.

Lest it be thought that I'm simply comparing The Sword to the hypothetical "true doom metal" band and finding them sadly lacking, that isn't the case at all. I'm simply pointing out that a fan of other doom metal bands is highly unlikely to find much good in this album.

Neither is the fan of anything much else in terms of good music. The vocals here are pedestrian at best and pointless at worst. Far too often, they're simply indecipherable. To be fair, perhaps this is actually a good thing, since - as other reviewers here have pointed out - the lyrics are generally pretty dire anyway. I also get the sense that the band borrowed a series of works on mythology from their local library and selected words and phrases which sounded interesting. Musically, the guitar riffs are amateurish as well. Instead of being engaging and catchy, they're dull and boring. The effect is generally to make a short song sound like it's taking forever, which is never a good thing.

So why 5%? Well, sad to say it but I'm not sure this is the worst album out there. I haven't heard much worse, I'll grant you, but there'd have to be worse, surely. Maybe I'm just an optimist.

A conspiracy against us - 0%

Noktorn, April 11th, 2007

I've started and erased this review several times while trying to wrap my words around the statements I'm trying to make. It's not a difficult one to think about, but it is a bit harder to communicate in the written form. It is one of the utmost abstract, but understanding it would be utter simplicity. So, let me try once again to illustrate my feelings towards this album.

Heavy metal, as well all well know by now, is a commodity. Not necessarily a commodity to its dedicated practitioners, but most certainly a commodity to those would profit on the genre's aesthetic, regardless of the artistic implications of the music within. We see the signs all around: your local Hot Topic selling vintage Black Sabbath shirts for exorbitant prices, the denizens of a local high school animatedly discussing Dragonforce (pay no attention to the dyed-black hair swept artfully and mysteriously over one eye), or even the presence of Trivium opening for Iron Maiden (imagine such a thing just fifteen years ago; it would be met by rioting in the streets!). Obviously, despite how sacred people such as us might find the genre, it is just another style, another look for all those who are not versed in its mysticism.

To the outside listener, one cannot usually distinguish between subgenres of metal at first glance. Most of the time, it all sounds like differently pitched varieties of cacophonous noise that does nothing more than thrash about without rhyme or reason. Of course, such a view is understandable and typical and even excusable early on, when one is being slowly but surely weaned off of a steady diet of homogenous mainstream sound. But it is in this spirit of noise that the metal aesthetic has been cultivated, both within the (admittedly rather shaky as of late) walls of our community and without: metal often portrays itself as an esoteric musical porcupine while those who generate cash off such an image keep upping the relative bar of extremity.

But in the third way, the noise has become the very image of those scenesters who have suddenly picked up the 'true metal' flag as their own. Few of those kids who just began listening to back Maiden and Priest LPs could tell you much about the nature of the music, the history, the struggles, the combats and triumphs between genres; this much is common knowledge. All these misguided youths think is fast, heavy, loud, and most importantly, with a thin sheen of individuality mixing oxymoronically yet without perceived struggle with trendiness. To such people, there is no inherent difference between Manilla Road or Morbid Angel or Trivium: just that some are more appealing than others, but they are of course all metal.

It is in this spirit that a strange idea of 'traditional' metal has been created: the various mixing and merging of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and a handful of others, creating some strange perception of what 'traditional metal' is. A bizarre, artless melting pot of heavy, speed, thrash, stoner, doom, NWOBHM, and whatever else is at hand, served up with a helping of short hair and accessible melodies. But of course it must maintain the irony of the music, the fact that no 'cultured' kids would really listen to such music in a genuine fashion. Yes, you can wear your Killswitch Engage shirt, perhaps even buy an album (though more likely download it) or go to a show; but one must never identify fully with such music, lest they be swept into some godforsaken maelstrom of cultureless middle class that both sees Iron Maiden as spiritually fulfilling, but can't afford plasma screen televisions either! Oh, the humanity!

But what would be better than a band that could at once rejoice in and humiliate metal, comforting those who love the image but hate the community, and perhaps even sweep a few 'true metalheads' into the fold, like so many platypi in an Australian zoo. "Ah, yes, here we have a beautiful example of a mid-80's thrasher! Look at the gorgeous plumage of his denim vest and sour attitude!" Yes, a band was needed that would take the perverted image of 'traditional' metal and bend it to the will of those who wanted to destroy metal, remove all the fear and doubt and pure ferocity of the genre, and make it something safe to do on weekends. Perhaps they could even have short hair, and be cultivated from cultured rock bands, but always profess their allegiance to that which is metal.

If one hasn't gathered it yet, this band is The Sword. Ignore your Triviums, your Slipknots, your Linkin Parks and neo-Metallicas, THIS is the sort of thing that is genuinely killing metal. This is a parody of all that metal has stood for, and it pours out of every note that vaguely heralds some hobbled combination of genres that has no basis in anything that truly exists in metal. Despite attempting (and generally failing) to mimic the styles and feelings of 'old-school' heavy metal, one can so clearly hear the lack of sincerity in the music which makes this album such an odious listening experience. This is no tribute to tradition: this is a complete sham and mockery of all that we love in this music.

The music could be approximated as some breed of traditional doom metal. Sabbathisms and other such references abound, but never reach anywhere near the quality of such a band. There's a (very) crude approximation of 'stoner' riffing throughout, that while not overtly unpleasant, is obviously lacking in both style and form. They only sound 'stoner' in the most superficial sense: they have none of the drugged-out drone of 'Sweet Leaf' or, to be more modern, 'Dragonaut', resulting in riffs that sound like they WANT to be good, but somehow get lost along the way. Much like the riffs as well, the vocal performance is a very poor attempt to summon the spirit of Ozzy, but while his voice brought to mind a modern-day shaman, the strains of J.D. Cronise are a melodramatic parody of themselves. You can hear him nearly panting with self-indulgence when he croons 'Behold! The bastard blade!', as if his grasp of alliteration somehow elevates him as an artist. I suppose this reflects the music itself: precocious when it in no way deserves to be.

This brings me to a next point of contention: the lyrics here are utterly atrocious. Now, many bands have taken it upon themselves to write lyrics based on fantasy, but never in such an incompetent way as this. These aren't cohesive Tolkienisms; it's just strings of various monsters vaguely linked together as such: 'Bane of the demon lord/Slayer of the spider-priests/Spiller of the silver blood'. Or, even better, the deranged co-opting of Norse mythology on 'Freya' into some indie-rocker's viking wet dream: 'Freya weeps upon her golden throne/Upon her golden throne/I'll wait for her alone'. Ugh. The lyrics communicate no intensity, and neither does the music; so what makes this metal? Isn't SOME level of intensity a prerequisite for this style of music? Apparently not; I guess a vague sense of being 'heavy' (which is purely due to the overly clear, bass heavy production, not songwriting) is enough to qualify it as metal, sincerity and songwriting be damned.

Other reviewers have commented on how agonizingly long the songs feel. This is no lie; each song feels incredibly drawn out with excessive repetitions of riffs that serve no purpose but to artificially inflate the running time of each track, perhaps in some inane pursuit of 'being epic'. But there is nothing epic about this music, no sweeping grandeur, no particular atmosphere, nothing at all that would make the music deserving of such a term. For a band that claims to be 'doom metal', there's a complete lack of atmosphere in music where atmosphere is one of if not the most critical quality! Yes, all the pieces are in place; clever transfers between soft and hard passages, 'propulsive' drumming (note: slamming the crash cymbal as much as possible doesn't elevate the intensity of the music), some modicum of intensity. But it's all for naught, as the critical element of legitimacy is completely lacking.

The sounds themselves aren't particularly awful. Hell, there are even some pleasing parts distributed throughout the mostly aimless waffling among trite Sabbathism and stoner rock grooves. But even these few moments of pleasure are instantly extinguished by how very repulsive the feel of this band is. The Sword is a band that lacks any and all love of the genre. Not being able to judge a book by its cover is a complete lie: if it looks like an indie rocker and sounds like one, it's sure as hell not a heavy metal band, and to describe it as such is utterly ludicrous. This is completely devoid of metal's fire and spirit, leaving it with only a cold, calculating attempt to make money and sway listeners over to 'the light side': that of the normal and mundane culture that we so despise.

No, this album isn't completely terrible on a musical level. But on a philosophical level, in the dimension of caring remotely for the genre, the community, hell, even their own music? A travesty matched by few. 'Age Of Winters' stands tall as a monolithic attempt to crush metal beneath the white hoof of 'progress' and 'civilization'. This, my friends, is the sort of music that is a plague upon metal, a conspiracy to strip it of its pride and savagery. Express your devotion to metal by denying this music as part of the community that you hold dear. This is metal only in sonic replication; NOT in all the ways that count.

Death to The Sword.

A Great Beginning - 93%

goober, November 25th, 2006

Nowadays, finding an old school heavy metal band is comparable to searching for the Holy Grail: it's a (usually) fruitless search for a great treasure. However, The Sword has put out a great album here.

I like how the singer is very old school. Nice voice, none of that stupid high pitched bat-like screaming (no offense if you like that stuff). The guitar work is extraordinary, the riffs are awesome and the drumming is intense. The band brings all these good traits together in songs like "Freya" and "Winter's Wolves." However, not everything is positive about this album. The instruments at times drown out Cronise's voice at times, more or less because of imbalance between the volume of the instruments and the singing. The sound quality is also not top-notch. The instrumentals are also something not to brag about. Finally, the band seems like it is using the same rhythm for many of the songs, which makes it feel like they are playing the same thing over and over, even though they really aren't.

Most of the mistakes The Sword makes seem to be common for newcomers, which may be turnoffs to some people. However, they also prove that they clearly have potential, and are willing to use it. If you want to fucking rock out, and you are looking for something a bit different, then get this album.