Exhuming The Grave - 95%

Apophis, March 20th, 2004

I didn't really know what to expect when I got this record. Either it was the medieval costumes adopted by the band, some people terming them black metal, or something else alltogether.

If I'm honest, this album is definately not as heavy as I first imagined, but the level of heaviness transcends normal definitions.

Much in the same way as Akercocke's 'Choronzon', 'Exhuming The Grave of Yeshua' - aside from the proving the mortality of Christ theme - is much in the same way experimenting with adding different textures and layers to an existing sound or style.
The principal difference between the two albums however would be the fact that whilst Akercocke's album is of mixed pace and varying between slow and fast numbers, The Meads' album is of a more consistent speed with only slightly more subtle changes in speed than some of those on 'Choronzon'

This is very much a progressive album. Not by the strict sense of the genre but in terms of how much, neverminding the medieval imagery and lyrical content, the music strives ahead often going where virtually no-one that wants to be thought of as a "metalhead" wants to take their music.

Definately a band out there leading their own unique field, The Meads Of Asphodel even roped in some of their old friends for this sophomore album. Not only does Mirai Kawashima from Sigh appear on one track, but so does the virtually legendary Hawkwind frontman Huw Loyd Langton. Friends in high places?

Either way, if you don't possess an open-mind, don't bother with this album. It's not for you.

It's for those who appreciate multi-layered talented music trying to make its own path.