An Epic Metal Journey Through Space - 98%

Midknight, March 16th, 2005

Wow. This album is total perfection. I'm not very familiar with this bands past and their previous releases, but this album hit me hard when I first heard it and it's been a favorite of mine ever since. The Lord Weird Slough Feg have a pretty unique sound (and name). I've listened to a few tracks off of their earlier albums and it seems on 'Traveller' they have moved on to something totally different. The only bands I could really compare them to before this would be either Cirith Ungol or Manilla Road. On 'Traveller', they have moved on to a more melodic straight-forward sound that is hard-hitting and at the same time very epic.

If you've seen the cover art for 'Traveller', you may be confused with it. Let me say that this is a concept album based around a Sci-Fi adventure role-playing game of the same title. It's kind of hard to describe the concept of the game and all it entails. The story basically involves the human race and a race of dogmen and their intergalactic adventures. There's quite a long story about it in the back of the booklet, but it's very complicated and it would take me at least an hour to type out. Do you want an easier way to find out what I'm talking about? Search day and night for this album and not only will you get your answer as to what the concept of 'Traveller' is, but you're be treating yourself to some of the most catchy and melodic classic sounding metal that has come out in the last five years.

Now, as far as the music goes on here, the album kicks off with a larger-than-life crushing intro that sets the tone for the entire album. The first thing you'll notice is the crystal-clear production that is very pleasing considering the production jobs on the last couple of albums they've recorded.The next track 'High Passage/Low Passage' is a great, uplifting start. Near the end of this track during the last lead, they add some phaser gun effects and it really makes you feel as if you're flying through space blowing the evil dogmen to oblivion. Needless to say after that description, the music on here is very picture-esque and convokes a lot of different moods. One thing to be noted though, is that at all times the music remains uplifting and positive. There's no sadness here at all. It's always very glorious and triumphant. 'Professor's Theme' is probably my favorite track off of the album. It has a very twisted feel to it at times. Another highlight of the album would have to be the track 'Gene-ocide' which is probably the most reminiscent of this band's earlier works. The final track 'Addendum Galactus' has agreat Judas Priest/Iron Maiden style intro that sets the stage for the final moments of this masterpiece.

It's really hard to get into more detail about this album. Every moment on it is exciting and memorable and fun. It almost seems at times like a soundtrack to an epic Sci-Fi movie. Again, it doesn't have any negative moments at all and at the same time it remains one of the most metal albums I've heard in awhile. If I didn't do a very good job describing this, then I think I've done my job. It is absolutely necessary that you seek this album out and experience yourself and draw your own conclusions of it. Perfection.