Perfect. - 100%

MasterRocking, October 15th, 2007

It is truly a travesty that a band with as much talent and musical brilliance as The Lord Weird Slough Feg cannot even get decent distribution of their albums, let alone the massive popularity they deserve. To much power metal these days is bland, tame, uninteresting and just plain forgettable. And when I read that “Traveller” was based on a 70’s RPG fantasy game featuring a space pirate who becomes a half-human half-dog creature after genetic experiments… well, quiet frankly I was prepared for a shit sandwich. Holy fucking shit… was I wrong!

The Lord Weird Slough Feg’s “Traveller” is an absolutely perfect album, no matter how you look at it. The music itself is absolutely great and not really like anything you will have heard before. In my collection of just under six hundred metal albums I can’t say that I could really compare anything to Slough Feg. I think people call these guys power metal a bit too readily. They are power metal but in a similar way to how Iron Maiden were power metal on albums like “Somewhere in Time” and “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son” (the greatest album ever). So if you’re wondering what sort of sound you’re getting on this album don’t expect the speed of Gamma Ray, the 6-8 timing antics of Lost Horizon or the “Lowest Common Denominator” power metal of Iced Earth but a very classic power metal (some will simply call them traditional metal and that’s a fair description) sound focusing mainly on theatric rhythms and melodies from mid to high tempos.

What about the singing and lyrics? Well, you’ll be happy to know that Mike Scalzi, the main creative driving force of the band, is equally as talented at producing awesome lyrics and vocal performances as he is at making great music to go with them. Don’t expect any high pitch screaming here. Scalzi may very well have a large vocal range, but if he does then he chooses not to use it and instead gives a dramatic vocal performance which fits perfectly with the music on this album.

There’s not much in the way of mind-blowing guitar solos on this album. No, the strength of this album lies in its excellent rhythm and melodies supporting insanely awesome lyrics and singing. The drumming is also great, not necessarily standing out but always very fitting in and making the rhythm and dramatic atmosphere that much better. The music is so great because it’s truly one long excellent performance, arranged to perfection much like Blind Guardian’s “Nightfall in Middle-Earth” or “The Crimson Idol” by W.A.S.P. There’s never a dull moment on this album. Hell, there’s probably not a single damn second of this album which you could say is boring!

Production-wise, well I think this is a very subjective area. As long as we don’t have guitars sounding like somebody shot a hole through them, amps with the bass turned up to 11 and everything else set to 0, snares sounding like cans of Pepsi… thank you St. Anger. But I don’t think anybody would complain about this album. Each instrument by itself has a great tone and the mix is about as perfect as you can get. You’d be hard pressed to find anything wrong with how this album sounds.

So, for a futuristic, doomy, totally mind-fucking-blowing album which doesn’t stop being fucking awesome for a single heartbeat you can’t go past this. And if you’re anything like me and have a special love for concept albums then you’re going to find yourself listening to this album over and over and over again. Whoever is reading this, please do whatever you can to get a copy of this album and others by this band because if any obscure metal band out there deserves huge popularity it’s these guys! And if this many reviews going nuts for this band and giving several of their albums close to 100% doesn’t convince then I don’t know what fucking will! Nor do I care! If you want totally awesome fucking metal then invest in The Lord Weird Slough Feg and their album “Traveller”… if you want more and more of the same tired, old, repetitive, uninspiring trash then by all means go and listen to the last few HammerFall albums or pretty much anything by Iced Earth.

Support, quiet possibly, the best and most creative metal band around today. Support REAL metal!