© 2002-2024

The Lightbringer of Sweden - Rise of the Beast

Tremendously Annoying - 49%

dragondusk666, April 2nd, 2024
Written based on this version: 2020, CD, Independent

Sweden has been for years now and without comparison the European (perhaps world) capital of the best metal around, especially if you look in the circle of melodic metal, be it power, death, heavy or AOR and hard rock. It sometimes happens, however, that in the midst of the many juicy apples, one finds the sour or rotten one. Such is the case with The Lightbringer of Sweden, led by Herbie Langhans (who is German, by the way), lead singer of Firewind.

Without detracting from the perfect sound, production and mixing, and of course the unimpeachable technique of the band members, we can safely state that one is listening to a tremendously dull, dull album with no appeal whatsoever. Somewhere between the most drawn-out power, with the typical swirl of fast and powerful riffs accompanied by the usual pounding drums, to the blandest and rockiest heavy, one can classify The Lightbringer of Sweden as a poorly succeeded clone of compatriots HammerFall. But if Cans & co. have been giving us excellent albums for 25 years now, Herbie Langhans and the others give birth to a flat record, with melodic lines, riffs and drum beat all the same; songs that have nothing to say.

Herbie Langhans' voice, already quite hoarse and not too clean, comes across as too scratchy, annoying in almost every track. The solos are excellent, the only positive note on the entire album, along with the aforementioned production. The definitely most unbearable aspect turns out to be the endless choruses of each track, however. Considering that a good part of the songs reaches almost five minutes, at least half of them is a continuous repetition of the same phrase, to the point of exhausting the listener. Each song could last three minutes maximum, be enjoyable and consequently prevent those with headphones, to take them off and turn everything off, caught up in the nervousness of senir vocalizing the same refrain until exhaustion.

The impression "Rise of the Beast" gives is that a single drum base was recorded, the exact same riffs were added to it, and the singer added vocals on top, recording the vocal lines (sometimes supported by some chorus) and letting it go on for endless minutes. I think it is hard, at least that is my personal thought, to find anything more annoying, verbose, and less catchy than this. The only thing that comes to mind is to press "stop" and trash the record. Oh, and the ballads? Well, the ballads are drab, boring, and downright negligible.

In my opinion it is a pity that I have to fail this record because the basic compositional skills are there, the sound is headbanging, rocky and powerful, the solos technical and excellently played, but it seems that the songwriting has a range that stops at two minutes. The rest is an unlistenable, endless repeat of the chorus, just to get to the five-minute total length. Herbie Langhans vocals, in my opinion, do not help to like the record, which turns out to be really very banal and without pathos. You listen to it once, get nervous and trash it.

Every once in a while even Sweden makes a misstep.