© 2002-2021

Lacks coherency and memorability - 66%

Noktorn, May 28th, 2008

The Last Twilight is a band who really doesn't know what they want to play. Some of the material is melodic and melancholic black metal, some is very fast, Marduk-style blasting, grinding BM, some is black/thrash, the list goes on. Fortunately the band is pretty decent at all the styles they choose to attempt, but so much dramatic variation makes for a pretty uneven listening experience. 'Morbid Path' is a pretty great EP to take one track at a time, but when all lined up together, it's a rather confusing and stop/start listen.

Case in point: plaintive, clean guitar driven 'It's Getting Dark' is sandwiched between vicious, speedy number 'Fire And Brimstone' and folk-influenced 'Final Embrace'. All the tracks are good individually but have no flow whatsoever. The Last Twilight doesn't even ATTEMPT to arrange the tracks in a sensible order; they just throw them all in a pile and leave you to sort it out. It might be a relatively small issue to criticize when all the material is essentially good, but on the other hand making it almost impossible to listen to the whole disc in a relaxed way is a pretty big problem.

But if we ignore that particular feature, the material itself is very good. The second half of the EP is particularly strong, with a slightly improved production quality and more coherent songwriting. 'It's Getting Dark' is probably the best track on the release, reminding me of Nargaroth's depressive moments, while 'Final Embrace' is a good mix of Marduk blasting and folkish guitar melodies. Concluding the EP is 'Eternal Hatred', easily the thrashiest track on here, making me think of early Darkthrone meeting Pantera, actually, and managing to kick ass with such a weird mixture. The first three are good but not quite as strong; they suffer from an overly fuzzy production and 'riff slideshow' sort of writing.

It's a good EP, but I would have liked to hear it with a more carefully selected track listing and more thoughtfulness in the writing process. While the music is good, none of it's really good enough to motivate me to really seek out more work from the band, so this ends up being relatively above average but still not incredibly satisfactory. Just having all the pieces doesn't really matter unless you make a picture out of them.