© 2002-2017

Runnin' With The Devil - 72%

SweetLeaf95, November 10th, 2017

Here's something you don't come across everyday; death metal from Nepal! The Exorcist are a quintet that makes nothing more than pure, unaltered death metal. Descendants Of The Devil is their only release as of now, an EP containing thirteen minutes of nonstop brutality and chop after chop of deep, muddy riffs. Not a single slow moment found; no acoustic intros or soft breaks, everything is to the point. For only containing four tracks, there's a fair amount of guitar variety, not sticking to one formula. It switches from dropped chugs, to grindy tremolo-like bridges, to slightly melodic cuts at times.

Everything is present, no lack of bass or sloppy drum-work, "The Axeman's Jazz" being the best showcase song for what everyone can do. This is thanks to the clean production, you can hear exactly what was meant to be put out. As good as it is, nothing stands out big time, and the vocals are fairly average. I'll admit, this is somewhat biased because I have a tough time with death metal vocals and there has to be something really special with them for me to really dig it, but he is clearly good at what he does, and that would be guttural growls. I would highly recommend this to fans of Carcass, Decapitated, and others of that like.