© 2002-2020

The Dead Sea - Hypernatremia - 85%

dsbm_fanatic, November 26th, 2019

As the metal scene in the middle east is prospering, the doom death metal genre was left behind, with not much efforts to contribute in this atmospheric and melancholic type of music, but that doesn't stop musicians like Azmo Lozmodial (who was also the guy behind Chalice Of Doom) from creating a decent record for all the thirsty doom death metal fans in that part of the world.

Back in 2013, the Jordanian doom death band Chalice Of Doom released a very remarkable album, and we never heard about them since then, and today I received an e-mail from the mastermind of Chalice Of Doom requesting me to check and review his recent work for his one-man project The Dead Sea. The first thing that caught my attention was the splendid artwork, which was a mixture of charm and hideousness, elegance and disfigurement, a very well choice to represent this type of music. The album kicks off with “Mummified Beauty,” a track that sounds very much like a melodic marching funeral. Azmo’s clean vocals section in the middle of the track really completed the puzzle of the melancholic structure and made this track stand out as my favorite track in this record.

None of the tracks in Hypernatremia failed to impress me, and the flow of melodic melancholic atmosphere continued for more than 53 minutes to prove that the middle east still has so much to offer in this genre despite the extreme political and cultural situations, that could have influenced the anguish of the melodies and lyrics. The riffs and the sound of the growling vocals reminded me a lot of the Danish band Saturnus, even one of the tracks (track 8) is very similar to the compositions of the Danish giants, which reflects the amount of influences that they had in the process of composing and writing this record.

The vocals in the album ranges from clean vocals to growling, which creates a variety for the listeners instead of delivering the same exact style of singing all over the album. The production in general needs some improvement, but for an underground record its more than satisfying, as you can hear the instruments melt and interact with each others well to form this type of depressive music.

"I cursed you, You fell from the moon,
And landed inside a cave inside my chest"

My favorite tracks in this record are definitely Mummified Beauty and Miscarried Allure, because both tracks are full of mournful guitar melodies and dramatic lyrics. If you are a fan of Saturnus, Novembers Doom, and old Anathema, then this album was made specifically for your pleasure. Overall, Hypernatremia is a great start for this project, and it will absolutely catch the attention of all doom death metal fans around the globe.

Songwriting:9