Decent, but not their best. - 80%

MutatisMutandis, August 9th, 2008

While I was totally blown away by the debut and follow-up EP of this aussie grind supergroup, Invention:Destruction is admittedly a bit of a letdown on all fronts. The production is comparable to that found on Slow Death By Grinding, and in turn dispels the raw, gritty punch that made Le Mort so ridiculously heavy and enjoyable. The riffing is as simplistic as previous efforts, but has been slowed down considerably; while the thick, meaty grooves are still present, for the first time I found myself with a strong desire to hit skip during the bulk of the album.

While songs like the heralding "Cut", "Beat", and "Rack" are capable of sending copious amounts of broth spewing from my often underwhelmed "rawk gland", tracks like "Burn", "Crush", and "Press" totally flounder. Prehaps the biggest disappointment is the total squandering of Damaged frontman Jamie's multifaceted vocal talents. I'm finding it hard to imagine he'd be willing to tour with these guys considering how little he contributes to the track "Shock"...

If I had my way, the modestly titled "In" would be replaced by a loop of various yawns of differing intensity and sarcasm if you catch my drift. TDEBN seems to appeal to a suprisingly wide demograph (and have thusfar stayed true to their musical direction) so I'm sure there are tons of fans who will eat this release up like it was slathered in nutella. It's not a bad album by any means, I just don't think it's on par with the band's preceding body of work and registers as half-assed a little too often for my liking.