Comes the Nocturne - 98%

Jalix the Cruel, February 28th, 2013

This album is heralded by many as the magnum opus of US melodic death metal, this effort by The Black Dahlia Murder....and for good reason.

Many will notice the continuing Gothenburg sound, but as some will point out as well that this album has a unique blend of some black metal sound being tossed into the mix as an interesting spice. This can likely be heard on a track such as "To a Breathless Oblivion"..

This album is filled with heavy melodies from the dual guitars. They harmonize together extremely well and it's very hard not to like it. Trevor Strnad continues his effective blend of high screams and guttural grunts that make this band such a pleasure to listen to. His lyrics, though, are extremely good and the twisted poetry used within is highly effective, conjuring nightmarish imagery that you will love to visualize (or not) as the songs go on.

The highlights of this album are notably "What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse", "Deathmask Divine", and "To a Breathless Oblivion" (which is my favourite of the album). These songs capture the essence of this band in an extremely good way, with poetic vitriol, relentless drums and guitars, and amazing work all around. The bass we can't hear, but in the metal scene this is becoming something commonplace, so that's not as big of an issue. I'm fairly certain it is somewhere. The drums - yes, Shannon Lucas is the drummer on this album (formerly of All that Remains) and he does not disappoint either, and those of you who are fans of him should by now know exactly why.

If I wanted to sum up the best moment of the album, it would be the chorus of "To a Breathless Oblivion". Just fuckin' read these lyrics and put it on:

"Beyond those cursed stars above, lies the answer that I seek
On the backs of bullets rides my name, longing to kiss my cheek
Resentfully decline, retire this hated life
Without guilt I break these veins, carved with salvation's knife"

That's all. Buy this album. You will not be disappointed with it. Do it now. Enjoy yourself for a night of nocturnal blight.